We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich...with a car

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
Munich...with a car

Hello, I would appreciate some advice on this subject. We decided to take a train from Amsterdam to Frankfurt and rent a car to drive to Rothenburg and then to Munich. We used Gemut (great service so far), but they have a 3 day minimum (still less expensive than one day with direct car rental). It is a little pricey to park in Munich, but we can park 5-8 minute walk from our hotel for 15 euros per night. We could just go ahead and drop the car on our way into Munich, or we could keep it. Here is my question, how difficult is it to drive to Salzburg and Eagle's Nest? Do I need special permits, etc? Is it worth it to keep the car instead of just turning it in? We will be in Munich 3 nights, so I feel like we may want to take a day trip....

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich...with a car

You can drive from Munich to Berchtesgaden in approximately 2 hours. Once in B'gaden, it's a short drive up to the Obersalzburg parkplatz to take the bus that brings you up to the Eagle's Nest. If you are sure that you won't go to Austria, the vignette is not needed.

Since you have the car, once you are finished with the Eagle's Nest, you could drive up to the Rossfeld which is a high mountain road "above" the park platz for the Eagle's Nest. There is a toll for this road - about 11-12 Euros- well worth it for the view!

Good luck!

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich...with a car

I should have also said that you will be driving right by the Cheimsee - another popular spot

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich...with a car

Thanks, but isn't the Eagle's Nest in Austria? What about driving to Salzburg? Is that easy to do?

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
719 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich...with a car

The "Eagle's Nest" (Kehlsteinhaus) is not in Austria. It is in Germany. Driving to Salzburg is a short distance, yes. To avoid buying the Vignette, stick to local, secondary roads.

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich...with a car

Names in this area can be confusing.

Berchtesgaden is a very small German town located a short distance from the Austrian border. National Park Berchtesgaden is located to the south of town and is a popular destination. Other small towns in the area are Ramsau, Schonau am Konigssee, Bischofswiesen, Marktschellenberg, and Bad Reichenhall. All of these areas are hugely popular for their alpine scenery and hiking, as well as skiing. Nearly every home has a guesthaus or has a room or two to rent.

The Kehlstein mountain is accessed in the town of Berchtesgaden. You can walk up (ha!), drive up, take the bus or a small cable car located just at the edge of town. The Kehlsteinhaus is the proper German name of the Eagle's Nest. You can only access the Eagle's Nest by taking special busses from the Eagle's Nest parking area which is roughly two thirds of the way up the mountain. There is also a hiking trail to get to the top but it's fairly tough for most folks. From the upper areas of this mountain you can see the city of Salzburg, Austria. Locals call the upper areas of this mountain "Obersalzberg" and the lower areas are the "Untersalzberg".

The high mountain road which is partially located at the upper areas of the Kehlstein is called the "Rossfeldstrasse". You can access this by driving the marked area from the Kehlsteinhaus parking area.This is a toll road with absolutely gorgeous views of all of the surrounding area. There are some areas that can lead you into Austria from the "Rossfeld" but if you stay on the main road you will remain in Germany. This road is popular with tour busses, hikers, bikers and motorcyclists in the summer.

I hope this helps to sort it all out a bit!

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,326 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich...with a car

Depends where you are staying in Munich as to whether parking is expensive, cheap or costs nothing at all. Although I live within the city limits I drive into the centre quite often. Without knowing where you are staying it is difficult to advise.

The general rule for street parking is as follows:

Parking on or within the Altstadt ring area (Thomas-Wimmer-Ring , Karl-Scharnagl-Ring , Blumenstrasse , Sonnenstrasse etc) is limited to a maximum 2hrs - costs €2.50 an hour. Outside of this ring you can park for €6 for the whole day - e.g I always park on he Arcostrasse, Arcisstrasse, Karlstrasse when I go into the city. It is only a short walk to Karlsplatz Stacchus but being outside the Altstadt ring only cost €1 per hour. (maximum charge and takes you through to 9am the following morning). This next band stretches roughly from the Orleansstrasse in the east to the Pappenheimstrasse in the west. Generally outside of these areas street parking is absolutely free. No limit on time. Lots of residential areas where you can just leave your car.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Munich...with a car

Thanks for everyone's input. I think we might decide to go ahead and drive Munich to Salzburg for a day trip. Is it difficult to park in Salzburg?

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
719 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Munich...with a car

Parking in the Old Town (Altstadt) is challenging. See here for information about parking:

salzburg.info/en/…parking_in_salzburg.htm

Select Garages & Parking spaces.

Edited: 09 May 2011, 22:52
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
719 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Munich...with a car

The links don't seem to be working. Download this brochure:

salzburg.info/static/…park_ride_folder.pdf

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Munich...with a car

When are you going? I'm from Austin too. Used to live in Giebelstadt and work in Wurzburg. You can do the drive from Munich to B'gaden and Salzburg easily. (I recommend a GPS.) There is parking available in Salzburg. Walk everywhere from the parking spot! Salzburg is wonderful also. Three days -- its not enough. I've never had trouble with parking in Munich. Always lucky to find something on a side road - or included with the hotel.

Get answers to your questions about Munich