We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neuschwanstein and Linderhof trip

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Neuschwanstein and Linderhof trip

After looking through the forums and deciding to rent a car versus taking a tour to visit these two castles I am now trying to decide which to visit first to better avoid the tours themself. I believe I saw that the trip to Neu. was about 2hrs. Does anyone know the time/distance that these two castles are apart from each other? And the time/distance from Munich to Linderhof?

Thanks for any help provided.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Neuschwanstein and Linderhof trip

The drive (by car or bus) - is no more than 65 mins or so. The distance between the two casltes, if I recall correctly, is mere 15-20 mins.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Neuschwanstein and Linderhof trip

Do this on the same day. Go to Neuschwanstein first, then drive into Austria and drive along the Plansee to Linderhof. From there, head back to Munich. Easy.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,750 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Neuschwanstein and Linderhof trip

I would do as BavariaJG suggests. You can make advance reservations for tickets for the tours to Neuschwanstein Palace at www.hohenschwangau.de . The tickets must be picked up at the tourist office in the village at least an hour before your scheduled tour.

Distances and good estimated driving times can be found at www.viamichelin.com .

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Neuschwanstein and Linderhof trip

Thank you all for your help.

What time do you think is good to reserve tickets for Neuschwanstein trying to beat the tour bus crowds?

Also, driving through Austria along the Plansee to Linderhof, do I need the Austrian pass to drive on their highways or for that stetch is it not needed?

Any suggestions for a town/place to stop for lunch between these two spots?

Thank you

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Neuschwanstein and Linderhof trip

Thank you all for your help.

What time do you think is good to reserve tickets for Neuschwanstein trying to beat the tour bus crowds?

Also, driving through Austria along the Plansee to Linderhof, do I need the Austrian pass to drive on their highways or for that stetch is it not needed?

Any suggestions for a town/place to stop for lunch between these two spots?

Thank you

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Neuschwanstein and Linderhof trip

There isn't any highway for that particular strerch in Austria, so no pass is required.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,750 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Neuschwanstein and Linderhof trip

As to having the minimal number of fellow tourists, the least are in the morning when it first opens and increases throughout the day. I don't know what the parking situation is like there in the summer, but an early arrival should also make it easier to get parking.

As to stopping for lunch, there is little along the road after you leave Reutte for Linderhof. If it's an appropriate time for lunch, I would recommend one of the restaurants in Hotel Lisl in Hohenschwangau, they have an excellent wild boar Bratwurst.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Neuschwanstein and Linderhof trip

Marco: I may have asked you this in the past... What Neighborhood do you live in? I was stationed at Kelly Barracks (VII Corps U.S. Army HQ) - in Moehringen-Degerloch from 1985 to 1987.. I lived in a small, one bedroom apartment just the other side of Stuttgart Int'l Flughafen... MIKE

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,750 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Neuschwanstein and Linderhof trip

Mike,

We live on the east side of the Mitte (center) a few minutes walk from the Schlossplatz.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Neuschwanstein and Linderhof trip

Ich Liebe Die Schlossplatz meine freund.

We also used to go many weekends in the Summer to Lake Nekartailflingen... The rest of the year, I made MANY ski trips to: Obertsdorf, Kitzbuehl, and especially the Hintertux Glacier area.. I loved it there, and plan to retire im Bayern or Nord Osteriech - If I can afford to do so at 59 or 60 yrs old. I will be 45 this Freitag, so I had better start saving EURO's!!! LOL

Edited: 06 June 2011, 19:11