We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

U-Bahn or S-Bahn friendly rental car locations?

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
527 posts
333 reviews
Save Topic
U-Bahn or S-Bahn friendly rental car locations?

We are planning a trip in September. We will be landing in Frankfurt/M, then probably take a train to Rothenburg odT, then onto Munich to rent a car and visit Bavaria (all of the castles and Garmisch-Partenkirchen and so forth). We will be flying out of Munich. I understand that it is much less expensive to rent a car someplace other than a train station or airport. We will probably be staying at the 4 Points Hotel (Olympiapark) in Munich (on line U3, if I'm not mistaken?). I don't think we'll want the car once we get back to Munich. What would be a good place to rent a car which would be convenient both for getting from the HBF to the rental car place and from the rental car place to the 4 Points Hotel?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: U-Bahn or S-Bahn friendly rental car locations?

The 4 Points Sheraton is cheap and cheerful. I hope you get one of the renovated rooms. It has free parking out the back (its a bit of a strange set up but follow the signs). Its a business hotel, not a tourist hotel. I own a few long term rental apartments in the olympic village so know the area well. I think its a cool place as its a 5 minute walk to the U3 and you have 4 bakeries, 2 grocery shops, fruit shop, cafe with gelato, post office etc etc on your doorstep. Theres also a pub but its rather small and grotty, full of old men who seem to live there.

I hope you enjoy the village for what it is... up until last year the student flats area was a large bulidng site at the end of the street. Now its coming to life again... Have a wander around the complex... all cars are under the village...

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: U-Bahn or S-Bahn friendly rental car locations?

You could email the folks at Gemut and ask them. Gemut is a rental car broker, based near Seattle, that specializes in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. I have used them several times and think they have excellent customer service.

Montana
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: U-Bahn or S-Bahn friendly rental car locations?

Andy@gemut.com; Gemut is located in Ashland, OR; Their car rental

is in Chico, CA.

Hope this helps.

Frank

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: U-Bahn or S-Bahn friendly rental car locations?

Forget about overseas broker companies.

You have a SIXT branch at Petuelring which is next to the BMW factory and a 10 minute walk to your hotel, or one U Bahn stop...

They speak English, they are reputable and they are on your doorstep.

maps.google.co.uk/maps/place…

5. Re: U-Bahn or S-Bahn friendly rental car locations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 19:19