We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

frankfurt munich salzburg lake district vienna

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
hongkong
4 posts
Save Topic
frankfurt munich salzburg lake district vienna

we want to do a trip in 3 weeks from paris to gemany austria ....what i was thinking was take a train to frankfurt ...then drive to munich via romantic road via wuzenburg and rottenburg.( autobahn way). stay one night somewhere on way. then reach munich. spend 2 night in munich and then drive to see the castles next day and maybe stay that night in fussen. then drive to salzburg..stay for 2 days...drive to lake district stay for 2 days...drive to vienna stay for 2 days. if anything else can be included like budapest it would be great. basically we have 12 nights in this region

Edited: 06 June 2011, 07:27
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: frankfurt munich salzburg lake district vienna

Your itinerary is perfect given that I have no idea about your interests and where you fly out of etc. So its perfect, for you.

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: frankfurt munich salzburg lake district vienna

Well we have done this route, apart from the Paris leg, during 3 sessions of 12 days each periods ( we should add 1 more session if we would include Budapest as well). I can easily confim that it will be perfect in terms of siteseeing and enjoying nature- I understand that 's Salzkammergut that you mean by "Lake District", however its the time that you have to allocate to each destination that might be very- very limited.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: frankfurt munich salzburg lake district vienna

If you are happy driving and can do a pick up in Paris and deliver car in Budapest then fly home it would be very nice, in that case I'd forget the train and drive from Paris straight to Munich. Easy drive in one full day, about 7 - 8 hours.

Main city routes Autobahns but stopping off rural sightseeing.

Munich

Salzburg

Salzkammegut

Vienna

Budapest

Munich to Salzburg and lakes are close by, Vienna only 2 hours from lakesm Budapest about 4-5 hours from Vienna. So it's all easily doable, it will become a tiring bind if you then want to drive back to Paris so the open jaw is important in just 12-days IMO

All depends on attitude to driving, I've driven from UK to Belgrade quite a few times, it's not as horrific as it sounds if you have the time. It won't be cheap though, you'll pay more for the car if dropping off in Hungary and then you've got the vignets and tolls etc. + fuel.

Stoofer

hongkong
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: frankfurt munich salzburg lake district vienna

can anyone suggest the best travel tour operator in germany austria area who can maybe plan this tour for us ...free and easy with hotels thrown in

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: frankfurt munich salzburg lake district vienna

If using a car for the duration, it's best do it yourself. Taking to the open road is great but not when tied down to a tour. IMO if you are a visitor that wants to use tours and agents, maybe a road trip across 3 countries isn't for you?

For timings and routes to suit you try here as a resource.

www.viamichelin.com

Stoofer

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: frankfurt munich salzburg lake district vienna

You want the 'best' tour operator that works for free?

Heard of the phrase...

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys?

Guide books and sites like www.muenchen.de will help you.

Start there.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: frankfurt munich salzburg lake district vienna

one of the best 'free tour operators' I know is right here, research the forums then book yourself a route.

Stoofer

hongkong
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: frankfurt munich salzburg lake district vienna

has anyone used to europe tours...i have asked them to book hotels etc

Edited: 07 June 2011, 15:53
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: frankfurt munich salzburg lake district vienna

>...i have asked them to book hotels etc <

Why ask for forum opinion on a company *after* you have asked them to book hotels for you?

Stoofer

hongkong
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: frankfurt munich salzburg lake district vienna

i am about to ask them to book this trip. they have sent me a programme which i am attaching. just wanted also to be safe before i pay them.

8. Jun Rail Paris to Frankfurt Airport, Drive to Wertheim Village for shopping (http://www.wertheimvillage.com/de/home/home), on to Rothenburg ob der Tauber (tour with the Night-Watchman)

29. Jun Drive to Fussen to visit Neuschwanstein Castle, Hotel in Fussen

30. Jun Drive to Munich (visit Linderhof Palace on the way), return car, Hotel in Munich

01. Jul Hop-on Hop-off City tour of Munich, Hotel in Munich

02. Jul Rail to Salzburg, Salt Mines Tour

03. Jul Lake District (Salzburg)

04. Jul Rail to Vienna, City tour, Hotel in Vienna

05. Jul Budapest (Vienna)

06. Jul Danube Valley (Vienna)

07. Jul Rail to Innsbruck, Hotel in Innsbruck

08. Jul Rail to Zurich, 4- hour City tour, Hotel in Zurich

09. Jul Day trip to Mount Titlis, Hotel in Zurich

10. Jul Rail to Konstanz at Lake Constance, Hotel in Konstanz

11. Jul Rail thru the Black Forest to Heidelberg, Hotel in Heidelberg

12. Jul Heidelberg to Rudesheim, Hotel in Rudesheim