We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Insurance Requirement Inquiry

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental Insurance Requirement Inquiry

For a rental pickup in Munich, Germany, what car insurance will I need? Normally for US rentals, I always decline, but for renting in Europe-Germany, I am not sure I can get by with this, and therefore, inquiring what insurance will I need to request? Or, will I be required to take insurance, and what insurance will that be, what is the cost? Thanks for any information?

ocala,fl
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Insurance Requirement Inquiry

swdke, gemut.com and then call and talk to andy. you will get all info you need and a good rate. I use them every year and just got a 4 weekmrental 780 compact with a free up grade. good luck jayvee

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Insurance Requirement Inquiry

Check with your credit card compoany. If the contract includes the CDW for overseas (that's the insurance you are declinig here in the US), you are OK.

Two comments:(1) If you plan to take the car to Italy or one of the former Eastern European countries, you must tell the rental agency, and they may require you to get CDW. (2) As is oftren the case also here, some of the rental companies in Germany try to persuade you to buy CDW; don't fall for it.

I agree with" sisterOcala" that gemut is a good way to go for rental cars, as is AutoEurope. I have used both..

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,488 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Insurance Requirement Inquiry

I never rent a car without CDW,without it you are liable for all damage to the car plus the loss of rental revenue. With CDW your loss is only 750-1100

That I will risk and do not bother with super cover etc

Thrifty will not accept credit card insurance

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Insurance Requirement Inquiry

Hi,

We've used www.gemut.com for our last three car rentals in Germany ('07, '09, '10) which included trips to Austria and the Italian Dolomites. Their website has excellent info on CDW (Collision Damage Waiver Insurance). If you call, Andy Bestor is very knowledgable and helpful.

If you have an AmEx card, we called and signed up for their Premium Car Rental Protection. Free to sign up and it covers much more than just the vehicle. Cost is $24.99 for the ENTIRE rental period (up to 42 consecutive days), NOT per day. You'd just need to use your AmEx card to reserve/rent/pay for the car and any other charges concerning the car rental.

Paul

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
995 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental Insurance Requirement Inquiry

You probably have a credit card that will cover you--our MasterCard does. You have to decline the optional insurance offered by the rental company.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,557 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental Insurance Requirement Inquiry

Whether your credit card will provide any insurance and what it actually provides can be found in the details of your specific credit card information. If you've thrown this away, check with them about it. Even if it appears that your credit card does offer insurance, the rental car company does not have to accept it (do a search on the Germany forum with the terms: rental car scam). Although I have a credit card that offers such insurance, I do not qualify for it under their conditions. So definitely check.

When renting cars I often use the agreement between my former large employer and rental car firms, being an elgible retired employee. ALL insurance is covered at an excellent rental rate, much better than what I can come up with myself without the included insurance.

7. Re: Car Rental Insurance Requirement Inquiry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 19:17