We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on itinerary - 3,5 days in Munich

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
217 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Help on itinerary - 3,5 days in Munich

Hi,

We will be in Munich for 3,5 days as an extended layover next March.

I'm in the very beginning stage of planning and wanted to get your thoughts on my itinerary. I have the afternoon of day 2 still free and most of day on day 4. I was thinking of trying to see if we can include Neuschwanstein castle, or if it would be too much.

Let me know what you think.

Day 1: Arrive at 5:30 PM

Dinner & Rest at Hotel

Day 2: Munich city tour 1/2 day

Afternoon ???

Day 3: Full day Salzburg

Day 4: Morning & Afternoon ???

Leave at 8:30 PM

Thanks!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,469 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on itinerary - 3,5 days in Munich

Don't spread yourself too thin is my advice.

You only have 3 days to explore and one of those is to Salzburg for a full day Very good idea to visit Salzburg, my tip is go early, on arrival take a taxi straight to the fortress see it first then slowly walk your way back through the old town to the station.

So now you have two days in Munich, one 1/2 day doing a tour. You need another half day to check out Englishergarten and the old town in detail.

It only leaves you one free day and that evening you fly home. Part of Munich is the market, the beer garden culture, taking in the vibe. IMO taking another day trip will just be ticking boxes and you'll miss much of what is good about Munich.

My tip is therefore to stay put, explore more of Munich on foot, use the beer gardens, beer halls and Bavarian restaurants, do some shopping etc. You'll wish you had more time.

Stoofer

General P.S. Castles look great from a distance and on a postcard but spending a day visiting and missing the local culture is a mistake IMHO.

Castle tours for those with more time.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
217 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on itinerary - 3,5 days in Munich

Thanks for your input Stooferuk!

I do have a tendency of trying to cram too much :p I agree with you I should probably stay put for the rest and enjoy the city!

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
82 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help on itinerary - 3,5 days in Munich

For day 2, since you are already taking a half-day tour, then maybe could add the Dachau tour. 1/2 day tour also. Most tour groups have 1 in morning, and 1 in afternoon.

I would use day 4 for cruising around town---Marienplatz, English Garden, and so on. No chance on day 4 to do Neuschanstein, or Herrenchiemsee tours. Cutting it too close for outbound flight.

But it could also give you alternatives for your travel plans, depending on the weather. Never know what March will bring in Munich.

Hope you enjoy it.

ER

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help on itinerary - 3,5 days in Munich

I agree with both Stoofer and eagle. I would leave Neuschwanstein for another trip when you have time to really see that area. Dachau (the site AND town) would be my choice also. Either on the half day of day 2, or part of day 4. Then use the extra time seeing Munich, go to Marienplatz, from there you are close to Viktualienmarkt, the world famous Hofbräuhaus and many other great restaurants and beer halls.

Prost!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
217 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help on itinerary - 3,5 days in Munich

Thanks all for your input!!!

6. Re: Help on itinerary - 3,5 days in Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 08:22