We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regensberg and Nuremberg

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Regensberg and Nuremberg

Is it possible to see both Nuremberg and Regensberg Christmas markets in one day? If it is possible, is it a good idea (am I nuts??) or should we select just one? If only one, seems like Regensberg is the one to visit. I want to see them both but don't want to take two days away from Munich as we only have 4 days.

Thanks and cheers!

M

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,139 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Regensberg and Nuremberg

Well, it should be feasible. It takes about an hour by train from Nürnberg to Regensburg. See www.bahn.de

Of course you need to think about the time it takes to get to the station, and then from the station to the Christmas market. I'd say take a look at the schedule, then decide which city you want to spend the night in and plan your trip accordingly.

What I'd do: Go to one city in the evening, such as Nürnberg, spend the night there, take a look at the Christmas market in the morning, go to the other city that is Regensburg, take a look at the Christmas market and spend the night there, then return to Munich on the next day in the morning.

Bayerisch Eisenstein
Level Contributor
404 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Regensberg and Nuremberg

Logistically it's certainly possible to visit both places in one day. By ICE train, the journey time is an hour to an hour and a half between each of the 3 cities in your triangle, but do you really want to rush the experience? Regensburg has a number of markets dotted around the roman/medieval city, each with its own atmosphere. And the city itself is definitely worth lingering over. And the same can be said for Nurnberg. I understand the desire to fit as much in as possible, particularly when time is tight and there is so much to see, but sometimes less is more. And in trying to cram too much into a short trip, it sometimes becomes a tick box exercise to say you've been there rather than really experiencing and exploring a place.

If I have to choose between the 2 cities, I would go for Regensburg over Nurnberg because of the number of markets, (One of the best is in the Thurn and Taxis castle), the citys' riverside location and its' old world medieval streets and alleys.

regensburg.de/tourismus/…17299

http://www.christkindlesmarkt.de/english/

Whichever you choose, I think the best time to visit any christmas market is as night falls and the lights come on. The illuminated stalls are warm and welcoming particularly with a hot mug of Gluhwein in one hand and some warm tasty snack in the other, it's worth lingering and savouring the atmosphere.

3. Re: Regensberg and Nuremberg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 01:41