We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich To Zurich-Best Train Option?

Arizona
Level Contributor
38 posts
Munich To Zurich-Best Train Option?

I have seen several options on the forums as far as train and getting me from Munich to Zurich. I will have ALL of my luggage with me for the trip, so I was wondering what train would I and my companion be most comfortable?

Is there anything between the two places we should stop and see, taking into consideration we will have luggage?

Thanks for the help.

Best Seller
Royal Castles of Neuschwanstein and...
4,366 Reviews
from US$63.30*
Best Seller
Small-Group Neuschwanstein and...
465 Reviews
from US$139.50*
Best Seller
Neuschwanstein Castle Small-Group Day...
1,901 Reviews
from US$57.40*
Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Munich To Zurich-Best Train Option?

Hi!

Train will be the best option! Don't worry about luggage, anybody has luggage on a long-distance train (but also short-distance trains are made for luggage).

Have a look at www.bahn.de --> Internat. Guests

There are special offers, starting from € 29 (oneway, 2nd class). You can buy them online (need creditcard), some of the tickets can also be printed at your pc, otherwise they will be sent to you without charge.

Do reserve seats! When booking together with a ticket, it's only € 1,50 per person, otherwise € 3,00.

1st class offers you more space, drinks and snacks are served to your seat (you have to pay for them), but usually it's not really worth the difference.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
2. Re: Munich To Zurich-Best Train Option?

As to your "stop-see" question, I would pick Lindau. The station is a right at the harbor and the old part of this island city. It is also a "head station", i.e. the train gets a new engine at its other end. This gives you lots of time to get off and on the train. I don't know about storing your luggage if you are just stopping for a few hours but I am sure someone on this board can help you there. Otherwise, there are several hotels within walking distance. The closest, but also probably most expensive one, the Bayerische Hof is right across from the station, but very quiet. Next to it, part of the same company is the Reuteman-Seegarten, a bit less expensive.(Check their website.) They all have great views of the harbor and lake. A boat trip to Bregenz and cable car ride up the Pfaender there is a "must", if you stay for a day and the weather is nice.

Arizona
Level Contributor
38 posts
3. Re: Munich To Zurich-Best Train Option?

Thank you for the advice. I am looking into the schedule now as to when would be the best time for us to leave Munich.

4. Re: Munich To Zurich-Best Train Option?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2009, 12:16