We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Car rental to use? (car seat needed)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
432 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Which Car rental to use? (car seat needed)

We're visiting Munich for 4 days at the end of June & will need to rent a car - and a car seat for our 1 yr old. I've never had to rent a car seat before, so I'm wondering if anyone can give a recommendation of a good car rental company to use that has reliable car seats? I've heard some horror stories about car seats from rentals companies, & since we're going to be doing a fair amount of driving I want to have something safe for my son. We were thinking of using Budget... any recs? thanks!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
232 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Car rental to use? (car seat needed)

Don't rent from Budget, check theses posts on Tripadvisor, go with Europcar, Avis, Hertz , just don't go with Budget.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
432 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Car rental to use? (car seat needed)

Thanks - which posts refer to Budget??

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,038 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Car rental to use? (car seat needed)

Just do a search on the Germany forum using the terms: car rental scam. Also, use Terstappen as they appear to be the worst and do all rentals for Budget and Thrifty in Germany.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
432 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Car rental to use? (car seat needed)

I did the search & didn't find anything for Budget specifically - but with Hertz & other rental agencies. I guess how can you really trust any of them?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,000 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Car rental to use? (car seat needed)

> will need to rent a car

Really? For Munich itself for sure not. And for many more destinations not either.

> were thinking of using Budget...

Under no circumstances with this one, i.e. with their licensee in Germany named Terstappen.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,000 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Car rental to use? (car seat needed)

> I did the search & didn't find anything for Budget specifically

You have to search for "Terstappen" as it's them you'll have to deal with when renting with Budget.

> but with Hertz & other rental agencies. I guess how can you really trust any of them?

a) it's never riskless to rent a car. Can lead into trouble even if it is neither yours or the rental companies fault. You're shopping and someone hits your rental car with his/her shopping cart and walks away. And maybe you even don't notice this dent before returning the car.

As I private car owner you have the option to live with such a dent, to let it repaired somewhere for cheap or to go to the official repair shop of the car manufacturer to have it fixed like nothing ever happened.

b) A rental car company will do exactly the latter. Also most car owners in Germany will do if the causer is known and has (or his/her insurance has) to pay. And this can cost easily 1000 Euro even for a small dent or scratch. No rip off - even is some posters claim so.

c) That the big rental companies (in Germany: Sixt, Europcar, Hertz and Avis) may mentioned more often than others can be a purely statistical effect. Considering the number of car rentals there are rather few complaints (apart from the one rental company already pointed to). Thus rather single incidents, albeit I won't deny that if you're from abroad (= small risk of legal action) you may in some circumstances/by some employees indeed be treated differently compared to a local. But it is not so that the locals are never at odds with their rental car companies.

Edited: 11 April 2012, 18:29
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
432 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Car rental to use? (car seat needed)

Thanks for the clarification. So ALL Budget rentals are done under "Terstappen"??

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,886 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Car rental to use? (car seat needed)

And get one of these if you hire a car http://www.boostapak.com/home.html - it is a godsend!

But I agree with Abalada - train is best - a car is next to useless to you in (not only) German cities, and public transport is second to none.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,925 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Car rental to use? (car seat needed)

www.gemut.com gets good mentions on here,they are in the US and you pay them, otherwise I use Hertz or Sixt with no problems. Check the car when you get it and return it in the same condition, small stone chips are ignored. Some of the complaints seem to be for being charged for damage they have done! As advised avoid Terstappen. As for Budget I thought they were a division of Avis and there cars came from Avis

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,925 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Car rental to use? (car seat needed)

I just checked Budget and they are for pickup at Avis offices so you should be fine, Tersappen is with Dollar/Thrifty