We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich connection time

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,984 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Munich connection time

In August, my wife and I are travelling Istanbul-Munich-Madrid with Lufthansa in Business. Our travel agent has booked us to arrive in Munich at 08.15 and depart for Madrid at 08.55, giving a 40-minute connection.

I have doubts about whether 40 minutes is enough to get to an arrival gate, get off the plane, go through Schengen Immigration, and get to a departure gate, but I do not know Munich airport.

Any views?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich connection time

Like any answer to these sorts of questions. if your planes are on time then yes. If not then maybe they will wait, maybe they wont. I´m glad you are flying in business class. You do realise you will be flying Turkish Air from Istanbul to Munich as LH are partners for some reason with them... oh joy...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,984 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich connection time

I am on LH1775 which, according to the Lufthansa web site, is operated by Lutfhansa.

Edited: 16 April 2012, 01:33
Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich connection time

40 minutes makes me nervous, but tempted to do the same with Lufthansa to connect to Budapest from US. Munich Airport is easier to connect than Frankfurt and I've checked its flight status a few times and the flight seems to arrive on time or early. LH has a pretty good ontime record and good service but would a nonSchengen arrival be an issue? Thanks.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,327 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich connection time

If you are on a through ticket, then missing the connection is not such a huge problem, you will get put on the next available flight free of charge.

You will have to clear immigration in Munich.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,322 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich connection time

Once having to fly from the UK over Düsseldorf to Munich (on business - all direct flights booked - Oktoberfest) I had 35mins between flights. Never been to Düsseldorf airport before. We had to change terminals and they were doing some refurb. . Asked one of the Lufthansa Ladies at the Airport Terminal which way to the terminal and she explained directions. I explained that my flight was departing in 35mins to which she replied "Run".

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich connection time

I may now have the option to connect in Munich to either Prague or Budapest depending on how schedule works out. If I have 9 hrs in Munich Airport, should I arrange to collect luggage and go through customs there? Only time I have ever had an issue with luggage was during a long delay when it was "put aside" in CDG for a much later connection. I will have plenty of time to recheck. How much time would be needed to go into the city for a tour and lunch?

Thank you, T

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Munich connection time

once I had 55 minutes and I made it however my luggage didn't make it to the final destination. another trip I had 1 hour and we didn't make it. Munich airport is crazy.

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Munich connection time

It would be a little tough for me to be in Europe for 2 weeks without luggage thats for sure!

I would probably use Lufthansa into Munich. Would anyone reccommend going to Berlin, Prague, or Budapest by train from Munich rather than fly a connector?

My return to US is through Nuremberg, so the same question: is it worth it to fly out of Nuremberg to connect in Munich or FRA or just go to an Airport by train? Not sure what would be more hasstle.

9. Re: Munich connection time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 15:42