We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Here's our 1-week Munich itinerary...critiques welcome!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
573 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Here's our 1-week Munich itinerary...critiques welcome!

Thanks to everyone on the Munich and Bavaria forums who has provided input and helped us narrow down our plans so far. My husband, 6-year-old and I are looking forward to our trip in June!

Here's how our rough itinerary is shaping up. We've tried to allow for a good mix of day trips and in-town activities, and also tried to build in some flexibility for spontaneous discoveries and just relaxing and soaking in the local culture. Obviously, some of this depends on the weather.

For reference, we'll be staying in Haidhausen and getting around via public transport.

FRIDAY:

Arrive MUC early morning. After all the usual arrival logistics and taking the train to our hotel near the Ostbahnhof, we'll most likely rest for a short while, then head out to explore the city. We're not planning anything too involved - we will just play it by ear. We may find a playground or park, take a swim at a public pool, wander the streets and get oriented, etc. Any other suggestions for low-commitment things to do (i.e., we can bail and head back to the hotel if jet lag overcomes us) would be great.

SATURDAY:

- Englischer Garten; we'll probably rent bikes, watch the surfers, visit the biergarten, etc.

- Strolling around the Marienplatz and visiting old town sites such as the Frauenkirche. I'd also love to browse the shops, including Dallmayr

- Visiting the Viktualienmarkt

- If time allows, we may try to see the Residenz on this day.

SUNDAY:

Day trip to Salzburg. Even though we know many shops and some restaurants will be closed, we chose a Sunday for this trip in hopes that the crowds would be lower. Plus, since we are traveling on a Bayern Ticket, we can get an early start on that day.

In Salzburg:

- Hohensalzburg Fortress. All of us find medieval castles more interesting than ornate palaces, so we are looking forward to this tour.

- Walking around the old town and finding a spot to relax with coffee and pastries

- We're not interested in most of the Sound of Music stuff, but the Mirabell Gardens look pretty.

MONDAY:

Deutsches Museum. We'll allow most of a day for this since my husband and son are big science and technology buffs.

TUESDAY:

Day trip to Neuschwanstein/Fussen. This is our fullest day, so we'll pay regular train fare instead of the Bayern Ticket so that we can head out early.

Plans include:

- Seeing the castles from the Marienbrucke. Having heard feedback about the crowds and the rushed nature of the interior tour, and having watched a documentary on both of them to help with our decision, we have decided not to tour the insides of the castles.

- Renting a rowboat or pedal boat on the Alpsee

- Exploring Fussen and possibly Hohes Schloss for a bit

- Taking the Tegelbergbahn to the summit

- Riding the luge at the base of the mountain

WEDNESDAY:

- BMW Welt/Museum or Munich Zoo (leaning toward the zoo)

- I love art museums, so I may visit the Alte and/or Neue Pinakothek on my own while my husband and son have a rest - they like to have more downtime than I do on vacation. :-)

THURSDAY:

Day trip to Legoland. On our son's "must" list. This is a public holiday, so I am bracing myself for huge crowds.

FRIDAY:

Depart MUC midmorning

Thanks in advance for any feedback you have!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,228 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Here's our 1-week Munich itinerary...critiques welcome!

> Day trip to Neuschwanstein/Fussen. This is our fullest day, so we'll pay regular train fare instead of the Bayern Ticket so that we can head out early.

You can buy a p2p ticket to the first stop where your train departs past 9am and use the Bayern Ticket from there on. Having both tickets you can just stay seated.

- Seeing the castles from the Marienbrucke. Having heard feedback about the crowds and the rushed nature ...

Speaking of nature - you could walk from the Marienbrücke through the Pöllat Gorge to the Tegelbergbahn.

allgaeu-ausfluege.de/06poellatschlucht.htm

Just follow the the signs to the Pöllat Gorge and Tegelbergbahn (= valley station). Not the ones to the Tegelberg (= hiking up to the peak). Approx. a 40 min walk. But there is no really faster option to get there anyway. There are buses from the Tegelbergbahn back to Füssen.

- Renting a rowboat or pedal boat on the Alpsee

Something you should do before going up (walk or by bus) to the Marienbrücke.

- Taking the Tegelbergbahn to the summit

- Riding the luge at the base of the mountain

Directly there are also the remains of a Roman Villa Rustica (farm). With a small bath house which belongs to the best preserved ones of this kind.

www.buchenbergbahn.de/roemer-tegelberg.html

- Exploring Fussen and possibly Hohes Schloss for a bit

Füssen would be of course your last stop before returning to Munich.

Edited: 22 April 2012, 01:35
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
573 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Here's our 1-week Munich itinerary...critiques welcome!

Thank you, abalada! Those are great tips.

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Here's our 1-week Munich itinerary...critiques welcome!

Nice itinerary.

If they have QBots at Legoland in Germany then get them. We visited Legoland in Windsor last summer and the QBots allowed us to see much more that we would have otherwise.

QBots allow you to jump the queues. Look into it on the legoland website. They are expensive though... everything at Legoland was expensive.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
573 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Here's our 1-week Munich itinerary...critiques welcome!

Thanks for the suggestion! I heard they were supposed to add Q-bots this spring...will check.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Here's our 1-week Munich itinerary...critiques welcome!

Regarding BMW Welt, been there-done that, as it is standard stop on all the city bus tours. Big Fancy car show room, I had coffee in the mezzanine cafe. So unless you are a drooling motorhead, or like to to get a salespitch from a pretty salesgirl while your sitting behind the wheel of a $100,000 sports car, the zoo sounds good.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,551 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Here's our 1-week Munich itinerary...critiques welcome!

Where EXACTLY are you staying. Haidhausen is a large area.

On your first day (arriving) assume you will use the Airport city day ticket Partner (valid for the entire network and cheapest way of getting from Airport to the city) which is till valid for the whole day.

Prices ar ethe old ones on the english website

mvv-muenchen.de/static_languages/…index.html

The Airport city day ticket - Partner is exactly the same as the "Partner Tageskarte Gesamtnetz" - Partner Day Ticket Entire Network but it is prevalidated to help tourists on arrival.

For your other days choose the appropriate ticket. You must validate it by stamping it in one of the blue boxes prior to your first journey then hop on/off Munichs public transport as much as you like

Other day tickets

mvv-muenchen.de/static_languages/…index.html

Tariff/Zone network

mvv-muenchen.de/static_languages/web4archiv/…

If you are staying near the Ostbahnhof and you want to relax just take the U5 to Michaelibad (2 stops). At Michaelibad there is a large outdoor swimming pool complex.

swm.de/privatkunden/…michaeli-freibad.html

Also here is the Ostpark where you will find a lake and a Biergarten (my local). Just look on google maps. End of the Feichtstrasse is the entrance to the park

www.michaeligarten.de

The Biergarten (self service) is on the far side of the restaurant. On the above website you will see many umbrellas next to the lake - that is the Biergarten area.

Many years ago used to spend an afternoon in the Swimmingpool area with my daughter then push her in the push-chair off to the Biergarten for my well earned pint (or 2). Still go with my kids (now nearly 18 & 20) - and they still want to feed the swans.

If you are staying at the new Courtyard Hotel there is a 19 Tram stop near the Hotel. This goes to the Ostbahnhof (in one direction) but in the other direction goes to St Veit strasse. Not that close to Michaelibad but if going back to your Hotel from the Ostpark you could consider it (I used to live ~ 100m away from it)

Also quite a nice way of going into the City as it goes down past Max Weber platz and down Maximilianstrasse and up to Karlsplatz.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
573 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Here's our 1-week Munich itinerary...critiques welcome!

Giftzwerg - we are staying at the Residence Inn right next to the new Courtyard. I'm glad to know about that tram and the Ostpark. The train info is helpful too. Thank you!

8. Re: Here's our 1-week Munich itinerary...critiques welcome!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 22:16