We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Therme Erding - nude guidelines

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Conisbrough, United...
Level Contributor
240 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Therme Erding - nude guidelines

Hi all,

I'm a regular visit to Germany, but have never been on 'the other side' of a spa, where clothes are very much verboten!

What's the protocol? Are you allowed to wear a bathing robe/towel as you walk around the pool, and then slip it off immediately before entering the water?

My main concern, being British and a bit shy(!), is thoughts of walking around the side of the pools with everything hanging out! I presume it's a little more subtle than that?

We will only have four hours there. Is it worth visiting the non-clothed section at Erding? We love water slides and general 'themed' swimming. Is there anything spectacular in the nude section that we cannot have in the admittedly busier clothed section?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Therme Erding - nude guidelines

Dont overthink things. You wont get kicked out of a sauna if youre in your speedos. Youll see your fellow countrymen and your cousins from across the Atlantic cowering in the corner peeping over their towels trying not to look. After all it is understandable... the teutonic meat and 2 veg is legendary. Italians may like it "al dente" but Germans know thats an inferior product. Enjoy.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Therme Erding - nude guidelines

LOL @ KiR

But whilst not sure on this particular place, in a few others in Germany & Austria as a Brit I was made to feel very awkward for walking around in speedos and got glarred to the point of hatred for wearing them in a sauna, so much so that I parted company with the pants pronto just to fit in.

After a few mins, everything hanging out seems normal, and no matter how bad you think you look in the buff, 80% of the others look worse. Use that thought and go with it, just let it all hang out, 'when in Rome'? ;-)

As for water slides in the nude? I did it just once and would recommend

doing that clothing side, ouch!

Stoofer

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,397 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Therme Erding - nude guidelines

Speedos or swimsuits are a no-no in any sauna. If you feel you have to wear them, be prepared for comments and for being sent out by staff.

Wrapping a towel around you is fine.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Therme Erding - nude guidelines

Yep, it's well worth noting and that was my experience, easy to offend.

It's totally the opposite to UK, you will offend and probably be arrested for being nude in a mixed sauna but I found local Germans very offended when I wore trunks. I think as with most policy when travelling, do as the locals do and forget what is normal at home ;-)

I'm not sure why it's ok to wear a towel? Please comment further Blandineforbe, the saunas I've used in DE expected you to sit on the towel and that I understand but why is it ok to actually wear a towel but not trunks?

Stoofer

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Therme Erding - nude guidelines

Because you don't feel like carring it, or there might be a draft lots of reasons

to wrap a towel around you, but if you wear trunks people feel like you use them like a peep show.

I remember nude beaches that had like a gras wall to seperate them from

the clothing beach and people with swim wear on would stand there and peak

through, as long as everybody is nude it's ok, but nobody wants to be a .......

for someone else.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Therme Erding - nude guidelines

Yep, I get that. But if you perpetually wear a towel covering yourself isn't that as bad or worse than trucks for those sitting nude?

Just asking.....because it seems odd to be in a sauna where one is totally covered by a towel and ok , but the one wearing trunks is thrown out or frowned at. The 'system' seems open to abuse?

I'm with you, if everyone is naked no worries and no embarrasment but I don't particularly want to be the only naked person when others have trunks on or wearing towels and the towel bit is what I don't understand.. I'd be very suspicious if a sauna with naked women had a couple of men inside wearing towels.......for example.

Stoofer

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Therme Erding - nude guidelines

No, because they think you only wear the towel temporariely, this is hard to

explain, actually you could wear your trunks and cover them with a towel

nobody would look twice unless they notice.

I mean you go into a nude envoirement to be nude, if you don't want that than

stay in the cloth area, there are saunas too, at least where I go to in Bad Homburg, so there is usually a choice and if you go to the nude area than

comply.

If you go again look around, some people will cling to their towel, others will

not wear one and again others drop it after a short ammount of time, it's ok

as long as the person feels comfortable with it, but what these people don't

want is a horde of tourists coming in in trunks just to have a look.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Therme Erding - nude guidelines

Oh, ok, understood - thanks..

LOL yep, they don't want tourists in trunks especially with cameras ;-)

Stoofer

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Therme Erding - nude guidelines

Don't they have mobiles now days ; )), by the way I was shocked that I had to

keep my bikini on going into a sauna in the US ; )).

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,397 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Therme Erding - nude guidelines

Towels soak up sweat, unlike the plastic fabrics of swimwear, they are usually washed at notably higher temperatures, hence more hygienic, and they are taken off before entering any water basin and such. That's the reasons I can think of.