We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Residenz

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
The Residenz

Hi

Could someone advise if you also get a map of the Residenz when you pay to enter and get a free audio guide. Is there also a book to buy on the Residenz where you pay. Seems something I'd like to keep. Also does anyone know which strasse we should enter the building for the Museum and Treasury.

Thanks

Gelnhausen, Germany
Level Contributor
131 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Residenz

Hi Niec,

I visited the Residenz in March and entered it via the entrance "Residenzstraße", close to Odeonsplatz, which turned out to be a good choice for visiting the treasury and the museum. You will get a map of the complex together with your ticket, and audio guides are free of charge and available in many languages.

The ticket shop at Residenzstraße and the museum shop are located in the same room, and they provide several books about Bavarian palaces. You might have a look at the publications offered in advance:

residenz-muenchen.de/englisch/shop/shop.htm

The publication assortment is in German only, but they refer to publications in other languages (English, French, Italian, Japanese...). I think it might be understandable even if you do not speak German.

Enjoy!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Residenz

Thanks Fraportfan I will make note of the entrance Strabe as we will probably go into the Treasury and Museum also. I was looking at the online map and wondering if I should print it...but our itinerary is looking more like a manuscript and want to hold off printing it and so it is good to know we get the map as well as the free audio guides. I think I will wait until I get there to see what they sell bookwise and in English.

Niec

Gelnhausen, Germany
Level Contributor
131 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Residenz

Hi Niec,

just an advice regarding the German alphabet: As you certainly know, the German alphabet comprises some letters that are not used in other languages which are written in Latin, namely the umlauts and the letter "ß".

If you intend to search for some German touristic sites via Google, for instance, you might be better off transliterating their names as follows:

Ä = AE

ä = ae

Ö = oe

ö = oe

Ü = Ue

ü = ue

ß = ss

The letter "ß" only exist as a lower case letter and only in the middle or at the end of a word, never at the beginning. (Recently, an upper case letter "ß" has been introduced, but it didn't become accepted by German speaking people.) "ß" is not an upper case letter "B" like in "Brisbane", but the so-called "sharp S" or "es-zett", because it is pronounced like a hissed "s".

Straße (street) ==> Strasse

München (Munich) ==> Muenchen

Köln (Cologne) ==> Koeln

Google "knows" that such transliterations equal the respective umlaut or "ß". Thus, you will probably get better search results when transliterating these typically German letters than by ignoring them (e.g. "Munchen", "Strabe" - this word does not exist in German -, or "Koln").

Don't want to patronize you; it's just a hint.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Residenz

Thanks Fraportfan

Yes I am yet to learn about the German Language and mainly just how to pronounce. I did know that the StraBe is Strasse as I have been all over the maps and came across that early. It is unusual though in google translate straBe is street and pronounced Straba and Strasse is strassa and means road. More confusing. By the way our "a" that I have put on the end is pronunced nearly like the German pronunciation of the ending with an E as our soft "a" therefore not pronounced AYE as in ache but like in around

"Uh r ound"...perhaps that's more Aussie!

By the way, someone from Austria which we also will visit for 1 night...told me to ask if people can speak High German. Does this exist across Austria as well as Germany and is this like a language that can be used in all German speaking areas. We are also going down to the Dolomites and I see they speak mainly Ladin followed by a little German and a smattering of Italian...so is that high German or yet another dialect...do you know. I have found just the niceties in Ladin as I cannot find much in the way of this language online.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Residenz

Oh I just realised that the B I used in the translation was the english B and not the German and therefore it is Strasse... and also Munchen to me sounds like MoonSHen...so Muenchen would be pronounced by me as MU en shen Guess we Aussies don't speak the true Queens English either.

6. Re: The Residenz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 00:17