We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Octoberfest 2012 URGENT

Kiev, Ukraine
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Octoberfest 2012 URGENT

Our company 10 persons is planning to visit the openning of the Octoberfest. But the most of the most interesting tents for us are already fully booked. Who can suggest a person or company where we can buy tickets?

Munich Food Walking Tour...
10 Reviews
from US$37.20*
Munich Old Town Walking Tour
70 Reviews
from US$18.60*
Special Offer
Munich Sightseeing: Hop-On Hop-Off...
5 Reviews
from US$49.09*
US$53.40
Munich Old Town Private Walking Tour...
18 Reviews
from US$314.33*
Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,346 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Octoberfest 2012 URGENT

>Who can suggest a person or company where we can buy tickets?

You cannot "buy tickets". You can, hiowever, simply come in earlier in the day and look for unreserved seats.

The only way to reserve a whole table (10 persons) is directly with a tent, resp. with the brewery owning the tent. Only a fraction of the tables is bookable. Do not accept anyone else trying to sell you "tickets".

Edited: 28 May 2012, 12:09
Kiev, Ukraine
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Octoberfest 2012 URGENT

Dear Altamiro,

Thank you. We tried to speak directly with the tents' owners, Nothing...

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,346 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Octoberfest 2012 URGENT

>We tried to speak directly with the tents' owners, Nothing...

Well, then you should arrive early in the day and take your chance on unreserved (unreservable) places...

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,998 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Octoberfest 2012 URGENT

Opening day is crazy, same for the other two saturdays. On those days you need to wait in line from 7AM and join the huge mob of people in front of the door.

Or you pay thru your nose for tickets from an unofficial broker. Which we do not advise.

Best is to go on weekdays, then you will not have any problems.

Fort Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Octoberfest 2012 URGENT

If your set on the first weekend...buy your reservations.

We did last year for opening weekend and glad we did...it was packed!!!

We have our reservations for the (5) of us again for this year.

I know the locals come on here, complain about people like me paying for "black market (ie: ebay.de)" reservations, but again they are local.

We spend thousands of Euro's to attend, which most Germans appreciate, to attend Oktoberfest. So, in order to attend when and what time we want we buy the overpriced seats. In the scope of things the $150Euro per person price tag we pay, is inconsequential.

This way we party all night, sleep in till mid afternoon and then go line up a few minutes before our reservation.

I frankly would not attend this festival without them, but that's just me.

Good luck.

Doug

Vancouver, Canada

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,998 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Octoberfest 2012 URGENT

I can fully understand that you want reservations when coming from far away. But as long as you are not going on a weekend, it's really not necessary. Seats are for free, and when you enter a tent around 2PM on a weekday, you can always find a space.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
13,260 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Octoberfest 2012 URGENT

All reservations for the evening tables for the entire Oktoberfest in all tents are already booked. Weekends reservations are "dead mans" shoes - you would never get one even if you sent in a request to the tent owners at the first oportunity for bookings - which is already long gone.

Firstly before any "public" sale the tents owners contact all their previous years regular customers to see if they wish to take up their normal bookings e.g. My wife is a long time customer with the Löwenbräu and every year gets asked if she wants her usual booking (5 tables). Once they have taken care of their "Stammkunden" - regular customers - then they start on the new requests. For a new booknig you are usually required to fill out a booking form request and fax it to the relevant Tents owners. This starts in March. You then sit and wait - If you are lucky you will be contacted.

A standard table sits 10 people. Standard booking (whichever tent you go - except for the Hippodrome) costs 2 Maß + 1chicken multiplied by the total number of seats on the table (normally 10 - although in some tents there are the odd 8 or even 6). You can only book whole tables. Generally this is ~ €300 for the whole table (2 Maß + 1 chicken is nominally + €30) - shows how much of a ripoff these dodgy individuals are making by charging €150 per seat although I have known some unscrupulous people charging $300

You DONT have to have 10 people just because you have booked a 10 person table. It is just the way they cost things. My wife just books 5 tables - it is only her name - Löwenbräu have no idea how many will turn up they just charge the standard 5 (tables of 10) multiplied by 2 Maß + 1 chicken. The other year we had 40 people which was nice and comfy - some people turn up later on.

As said above forget weekends unless you are happy to be queuing up at 7am.

ALL the tents were physically locked shut by 1pm last year due to overfilling - despite the weather being bright sunshine. This is a first for me (in 20years). I have seen the odd tent locked but usually ALL the tents don't get locked shut unless the the weather is bad and people looking to get out of the rain. Me and the wife often went on a weekend if sunny and have never had a problem finding a space for 2 people.

As you have 10 people and probably wish to sit altogether 2pm even on a weekday like a monday may not necessarily be early enough if the weather is bad.

10 people (on a 10 person table) is a squeeze anyway - 8 (on a 10) is more comfortable.

It is also very much the norm to share so if you find space on 2 nearby tables you can ask to share - if you have space you will get asked to share - again we always tried to limit it to 8 so count the people wanting to share.

Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Octoberfest 2012 URGENT

Above info is great.

Keep in mind that if it rains, all outside seating is useless and the demand is still there.

I suggest making a go at the 'old fashioned' traditional part (cost entrance, little but more quiet) - best chance in my opinion.

Also, may consider splitting your group. 10 people will be hard to squeeze together.

Get there super early! Seriously!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,998 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Octoberfest 2012 URGENT

Indeed, this is the waiting line at what I guess would be 8AM on opening saturday.

That's why I always go on weekdays. Sleep out in the morning, have lunch on Viktualienmarkt and start Oktoberfest around 2PM.

Mentioned in this post
Viktualienmarkt
Viktualienmarkt
2,659 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Waterbury, CT
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Octoberfest 2012 URGENT

Do you guys anticipate huge lines on the second saturday as well? Would it still be necessary to get there around 7am?