We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Days in Munich!

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
2 Days in Munich!

I am taking my father to Munich for 2 days at the end of july(24-26) and was wondering if anyone can give us a good itinerary?

We are staying in at the Appartment Munchen Isator as it seems to be in a good location.

How easy is it to find from the airport? We will be making use of the public transport but my father is a worrier so it will be all down to me to not get us lost haha

We both enjoy pretty little markets and streets and I am interested in taking him to the zoo.

I have never been to Germany before( i am due to go to Berlin in september) and was wondering if Munich was easy to get around.

Thanks

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Days in Munich!

Well, I don't know this hotel, but if it has "Isartor" in its name, then it's very centrally located. The name of the S-Bahn stop is Isartor. When you're at the airport, just take the first S-Bahn that's ready to depart; they both go there. One of them will approach your station from the East, the other one from the West, which can be a little confusing.

Here's the website of the subway network: www.mvv-muenchen.de

When arriving, buy a "Tageskarte Gesamttarifgebiet" (day ticket for the entire MVV are), because it only costs about 80 Cents more than a single ticket, and you can use it to go out again after you've left your luggage at the hotel.

Well, the zoo's nice. That's the stop "Thalkirchen".

There are not that many pretty little markets (flea markets?), but go to Viktualienmarkt, which is right next to Marienplatz station. Get a map, it would be a pity if you only saw half of the sights because you couldn't find them. Next to the market, there's a church called "Alter Peter", and you can mount its belfry for a nominal charge.

That's not the famous church with the two belfries; that one's a bit further on, between Marienplatz and Stachus.

Make sure you have a meal at a "Biergarten", for instance near the Chinese Tower in the English Garden. You can get typical Bavarian dishes there. It's not a "tourist trap"; everyone from Munich goes there from time to time. So you'll see normal business people having lunch, for instance.

Edited: 21 June 2012, 18:43
UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Days in Munich!

Thanks for the fast reply :)

I have actually just changed my accomodation, we will now be staying at the Winters Hotel near the Hauptbahnof. Our flight arrives in Memmingen and the bus drops us off outside the station so we thought this hotel would be more convenient for my father who tires easily.

I think i will definately take him to the zoo and the English Garden, are there any nice places for breakfast near the Hauptbahnof?

3. Re: 2 Days in Munich!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2012, 12:13
UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Days in Munich!

Well there isn't much we can do about the flights as that is where we land. The bus seems fairly straight forward to me, what part was bad?

The hotel is just a base for us, we don't want anything fancy just somewhere to sleep, after reading the reviews, it seems to tick all boxes.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,109 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Days in Munich!

Hauptbahnhof area is of course the worst place in the world to stay. That's why Le Meriden and Sofitel are there- well known seedy hotels- not!

Winters hotel is well located; It is not in what Munich deems the red light area.

Memmingen is not anywhere near Munich- a fabrication of M O'L. You might as well call it Zuerich East.

However it's a nice place, a small airport with good if lengthy connections to Munich.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,782 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Days in Munich!

@CherryAcid don't worry about the area near Hauptbahnhof, Arnulfstrasse (where the hotel is) is not that bad. I think Goethestrasse is supposed to be red light area, if I am not mistaken.

UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Days in Munich!

Thanks you for putting my mind at rest :) we won't be out past 10pm anyway.

The trip from the airport although a little daunting isn't too bad for us, I don't mind sitting on a coach for a couple of hours. Especially as we won't have to go far for our hotel.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,109 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Days in Munich!

Arnulfstr. is not in anyway bad. It's a main road, is all.

The area south of the station has a Beate Uhse shop, a couple of "adult cinemas" and that's about it. Nothing your old aunt would find a concern.

No druggies, hookers on the corner etc.

And a good place for a kebab later on at night.

REALLY nothing to worry about at all. But you are remote from that area,being north of the station. Your biggest concern is the street noise- trams till late.

Somerset,England
Level Contributor
967 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 Days in Munich!

The previous comment about the Hauptbahnof area is wide of the mark. Its not particularly seedy (or dull ) and perfectly safe. We have stayed there numerous times with and without our children and its an OK place and of course excellent location for travelling and close to the pedestrianised area from Karlsplatz.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 Days in Munich!

Glad to hear as we will be in a stone's throw of Goethestrasse and when we arrive we will come out of the south entrance across the street and avoid the first treelined strasse and take the 2nd. I am sure it won't be that bad as we will be out and about all day on long tours and in at our self cont. in the evening. WE TWO OLD AUNTS!