We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthansa vs. Air France (to see or not to see Munich)

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
7 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Lufthansa vs. Air France (to see or not to see Munich)

Hello,

I need some advice, quick. I am traveling to Europe in a couple of weeks for the first time and have to book my flight. I have an open itinerary into Barcelona and back from Luxembourg. I found to flights, one with Lufthansa and the other with Air France (which is about $90 more).

The main difference is that with the Lufthansa flight, I get to Barcelona about 12 hours later, at 9:00pm vs. 9:00 am with Air France. However, on the way back, Lufthansa stops for 21 hrs in Munich (where I have never been either) and Air France stops briefly in Paris before heading back.

I would love to see Munich, but I'm not sure that it is worth stopping for only 21 hrs. I have a place to stay with a family friend, but would prefer to see the nightlife and be out late (although it will be a sunday night). On the other hand, going through customs, having to pick up all of my checked luggage, and then taking the 40 min train ride to the city might not leave me with much time to see anything.

I have tried to look at this from every angle and cannot find a clear cut best alternative. What would you do? Do I have to pick up my luggage for an overnight connection?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lufthansa vs. Air France (to see or not to see Munich)

So you could actually save $90, provided you stay in Munich for 21 hours? You don't have to pay for accommodation, because you could stay with friends?

Well, that sounds like a no-brainer to me :-)

Go and see Munich. Air France isn't that good anyway. They misplaced my luggage and when I got it after a couple of hours, I found that stuff had been stolen from it.

I'm sure you can find fun things to do in Munich during the daytime, too. If it's a Sunday, go to the "Englischer Garten" near the "Chinesischer Turm". That's one of the famous beer gardens; if the weather is fine, it will be crowded. It's not a tourist place though; lots of people from Munich go there to eat something and drink beer. If you wear extra dark sunglasses, you can imagine it's night ;-)

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lufthansa vs. Air France (to see or not to see Munich)

"Air France stops briefly in Paris before heading back."

I would recommend against attempting any quick connection at CDG.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
7 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lufthansa vs. Air France (to see or not to see Munich)

Thank you Petra (that was my great gradmother's name). I booked the flight through Munich. I will be there over night, so I won't have to pretend (although the dark sunglasses do sound like an idea either way).

I read the reviews and did not want to risk any time at CDG, so thank you blawcleea.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,391 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lufthansa vs. Air France (to see or not to see Munich)

Your checked luggege is normally tagged through to your final destination so you will not have to deal with it in Munich

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,270 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Lufthansa vs. Air France (to see or not to see Munich)

Yep a no-brainer, check out Munich for a night and 1/2 of the Monday, take lunch in Viktualienmarkt then head for the airport..

Another good reason is that Lufthansa are great around Munch Terminal 2,

it's a great terminal and far nicer experience than CDG. Beer and lunch or dinner is actually a nice experience in T2 unlike most airports.

Stoofer

Plattsmouth Ne
Level Contributor
341 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lufthansa vs. Air France (to see or not to see Munich)

Follow Petra and Stoofer's excellent "no brainer" advice and you will not be disappointed.

7. Re: Lufthansa vs. Air France (to see or not to see Munich)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2013, 10:17