We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sixt car rental Munich

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
16 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Sixt car rental Munich

I'm looking to rent a car in Munich for ten days the end of Sept. Sixt was recommended to me. Is this a good rental company? Do I need to purchase their personal accident insurance? Any tips would be appreciated.

46 replies to this topic
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,314 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sixt car rental Munich

There is never a need to purchase the over-priced PAI from rental companies, assuming you have your own personal accident/life insurance policy elsewhere.

Sixt is fine.

Edited: 05 July 2012, 18:38
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
16 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sixt car rental Munich

Thank you very much. That completely answers my question.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sixt car rental Munich

As said already Sixt are fine,when you choose the car the basic price only includes third paty damage. There are then several tiers of collision damage waiver to include if you want, I take one where I am liable for the first €700-1000 in case of an accidant. Without this you will be liable for all damage to the car up to the full cost if it is severe. Your credit card might cover you ,I suggest you check and then choose the level you are comfortable with

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sixt car rental Munich

If you have an American Express card the company offers a terrific deal on rental car coverage. For something like $25 bucks per rental (not per day) they provide up to $100K of primary coverage (i.e., your own auto insurer doesn't get involved) for up to something like 42 days of rental. We always do this internationally and often domestically. Here's a link if you want to check it out https:/…home.do

I can also highly recommend renting through www.gemut.com. They are a US-based agency that does a fantastic job with service and has very good pricing. You can easily cancel/change reservations through them. We have used them multiple times and wouldn't think of doing anything else in German-speaking countries (the only countries they operate in). There have also been many good reviews of them from others on this forum. If nothing else you should go to their website and download the free paper on renting cars in Europe. Very informative.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
16 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sixt car rental Munich

Thanks for all the help. I'm in the process of booking through gemut.com. Their prices were excellent and I enjoyed reading the many helpful articles on their web site.

Montana
Level Contributor
4 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sixt car rental Munich

I'll put in a huge negative vote for SIXT car rental.

We rented from them in June 2012, and filled the tank on our trip back from Regen-- probably 30km before we dropped off the car. My bill arrived last week, and we were hit with a $174 refueling charge. Thus far, we've been unable to get in contact with anyone to explain this excessive fee.

Be smart and rent a car from someone else.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sixt car rental Munich

We had a VERY BAD experience with Sixt on March 2013!!

We booked through their website a car from the airport for 2.3 days which we paid a daily rate of 3 days x 50 EUR.

There was a snowstorm on our arrival and the airport closed down so we arrived late by several hours.

They considered this a 2 day rental so they increased the rate from 50 to 93.61€, an 87% increase!!!!

So, our 2 day rental cost more then 3 days!!!

They charged the refueling with diesel at 4.61€/liter so 300% of the street price!!! The excuse was that we saved time!!

In the end, the extra charges were more then the "all-inclusive" rental price we thought we had!!

We complained and they reduced the price of fuel by a few euros....!!

Never again Sixt!!!

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sixt car rental Munich

As far as I know all car rental companies will change you daily rate upwards if you rent for less days than booked. As for the fuel price they also all charge crazy rates if the vehicle is not returned full. Next time you rent read the terms and conditions and then you will not get caught out

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sixt car rental Munich

What good is reading the T&Cs?? Will we go to a lawyer or court for 100-200€?? or I can negotiate them when renting a car?? This is what the companies know and use them against the individual customers.

My point is that it is NOT ETHICAL for a company to use the T&Cs as an excuse for exsessive charges with any excuse and without warning.

This is exactly the power of the internet and such forums. To voice our opinion on such issues.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sixt car rental Munich

I have also had a terrible experience with this location (Central Train Station). Someone had dinged the side of our door in a parking lot causing minor scratches to one door and a small dent. They wanted to charge us 6800EU for two small scratches!!!! In addition to this exorbitant cost, they have been hounding us for a Diminution of Value charge of 1100EU.

It gets better... We had insurance through our credit card company and Sixt refuses to work with them. They have been emailing us DAILY (6 times now) and also tried to trick us into signing for the FULL damages (6800EU) instead of working through our insurance company which we had clearly stated every time.

I would NEVER recommend Sixt, particularly because of their shady business practices in handling our claim and attempting to get an extra 1100EU from us from a charge that isn't even backed by any law in

EU and wasn't even included in our rental agreement.

DO NOT RENT HERE. You're better off renting with Avis, Budget or another vendor.

Reply to: Sixt car rental Munich
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted