We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starnberg Lake on the way south?

Springville, Indiana
Level Contributor
40 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Starnberg Lake on the way south?

I will be in Munich and there is a small monument near the Starnberg Lake area just south of Assenhausen. I don't have a lot of time as I will be heading for Berchtesgaden. Is there any routes that stop in that area, that I could get off, then return and resume the route to Berchtesgaden? I will have a Bayern ticket?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Starnberg Lake on the way south?

See my answer to your Austria posting

München
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Starnberg Lake on the way south?

Hi,

I guess you mean the Bismarckturm.

bismarcktuerme.de/ebene4/bayern/assenh.html

It is not worth a visit if it is not on your way. And in your case it is definitely out of your way. You would have to go to Starnberg by s-bahn than catch a bus ( doesn`t run frequently) walk a little bit and than go back all the way. Takes you at least 2,5 to 3,5 hours I will guess.

Springville, Indiana
Level Contributor
40 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Starnberg Lake on the way south?

Thank you for the reply, yes I was referring to the Bismarckturm. That's a lot of time devoted to just one thing so I'm not sure we'll be able to see it. By chance do you know which bus would I take once in Starnberg? Thank you for the information. From the link it seems there are at least a few others in Bavaria.

bismarcktuerme.de/ebene3/…kartebayern.html

But those wouldn't be any nearer obviously, and are not as impressive as the one south of Munich. I thought about attempting the one around Stuttgart ,but again it was just a bit out of the way.

Vielen Dank

Springville, Indiana
Level Contributor
40 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Starnberg Lake on the way south?

One last update and question if anyone can offer any advice. I had ruled out attempted to travel or stop to the monument and starnberg but now there is a chance we might take a day trip from Munich to Garmisch to see the Partnachklamm . I believe this all lies on the Munich–Garmisch-Partenkirchen railway which I think Starnberg has two stops on. If we leave in the morning to see the gorge would it be easy to jump off in starnberg to see the sites and then right back on as we return to Munich that evening? Thanks

München
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Starnberg Lake on the way south?

Here is the schedule for the bus from Starnberg to Assenhausen.

starnberg.de/fileadmin/user_upload/starnberg…

It is in german hope you can read it

6. Re: Starnberg Lake on the way south?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 17:17