We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Fuessen to G-P via Reutte. Permit needed?

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from Fuessen to G-P via Reutte. Permit needed?

Hello. Do we need the international driver's permit to drive our rental car from Fuessen to Garmisch? I want to take the route via Reutte because of the scenery. If it's needed, where can I get this? We are not AAA members. Thanks so much!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,363 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Fuessen to G-P via Reutte. Permit needed?

Austria does require an international driver's permit. I don't think you have to be a member to get one from the AAA. You'll need one or two passport size photos. www.viamichelin.com should tell you if you need an Austrian vignette.

Edited: 09 July 2012, 15:28
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,109 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Fuessen to G-P via Reutte. Permit needed?

I've driven that route and you do need the vignette on the main road (although I didn't have one because a) it didn't seem like an expressway being only single carriageway b) I didn't know when I started the journey c) I din't need one last time I drove the route and d) it was only about 5 km).

There ARE side roads, though, once you cross the border, and they don't need the vignette

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Fuessen to G-P via Reutte. Permit needed?

Thank you Marcopolko. I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with a "vignette." Can you please advise?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Fuessen to G-P via Reutte. Permit needed?

Ethelman 2 - Did you have to have the international driver's license for such a short drive? I'm rethinking my route. Not sure what the vignette is, but we leave Saturday and I have to work all week so I'm running out of time.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,363 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Fuessen to G-P via Reutte. Permit needed?

A vignette is a sticker that you buy to attach to the windshield of your car that will allow you to drive on multi-lane limited access highways. Both Austria and Switzerland each require you to have them for their countries to drive on such highways, and their fines are very large if you don't have one. (While their giving you the fine in Austria, they will also be giving you another large one for the lack of an international driver's permit if you haven't got one.) They are available from gas stations before the border. While Switzerland requires one good for a year, Austrian ones can be purchased for lesser amounts of time. Do not enter any autobahns in either country without the vignette.

Edited: 09 July 2012, 16:19
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Fuessen to G-P via Reutte. Permit needed?

Thank you for your reply. It's very helpful. At this point, I think we'll just change our route.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Fuessen to G-P via Reutte. Permit needed?

Getting the international drivers' license takes about 15 minutes at an office of AAA. You don't have to be a member, or take a test, just fill out the application for the license and have your picture made (if you don't have photos the right size).

The route via Reutte has really stunning scenery.

Edited: 09 July 2012, 22:53
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,096 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Fuessen to G-P via Reutte. Permit needed?

We drove part of that route and it was very much worth going through Austria - the IDP is really easy and quick to get, so don't let that stop you. And you should have it even if you aren't planning to drive in Austria - even though Germany doesn't require it, I have heard of German rental car companies refusing to rent to drivers who don't have one.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,109 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Fuessen to G-P via Reutte. Permit needed?

I don't need an IDP, being an EU citizen.

On the vignette front, it's not ONLY multilane roads, although it is USUALLY multliane roads.

I've checked on viamichelin, and the vignette is not needed on this short stretch of B179. It IS needed later on along that road- the signs on the road are confusing.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Fuessen to G-P via Reutte. Permit needed?

Ok. You are convincing me to try to squeeze this in this week. Since my husband will be driving, he is actually the one that will have to find time in his work schedule. I read that it costs $45, and that it's only a 5 km drive. Hmmm.