We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 hour layover, too tight to leave the airport?

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chesterfield, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
5 hour layover, too tight to leave the airport?

I've read a bit online about layovers in Munich, usually people posting have more time between flights than we will. Our flight lands at 10:15am and the next departs at 3:30pm. I'd love to get downtown and see a few sights in the main square and possibly stop by hofbrau. I wanted to get everyone's opinions if they thought if it was do-able, or if its just not worth the stress to spend a small amount of time in the city. I'm guessing if we did it we'd only have 1 hour to an hour and half to walk around then we'd have to turn around and hop on a train to get back to the airport. Thanks for any help.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 hour layover, too tight to leave the airport?

You could very easily visit the small town of Erding, about ten minutes by taxi from the Munich airport, if you wanted to stay closer to the airport. It's an attractive place and well known for its beer.

Plattsmouth Ne
Level Contributor
341 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 hour layover, too tight to leave the airport?

Your profile says you're adventurous, so go for it! It's worth it! Take the S8 train from under terminal one to Marienplatz.. It takes less than an hour. In an hour and a half you can see quite a lot as the area is pedestrian, and many of the famous landmarks are within quick walking distance. There is a plaza between the two terminals; take the escalator in front of terminal one down to the trains. You won't have to wait more than a few minutes. Enjoy! Munich ist eine tolle Stadt. Though you don't usually like visiting places more than once, you just might see enough to make an exception in this case. There is a lot more to Munich than what you will see in an hour and a half. Gute Reise!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 hour layover, too tight to leave the airport?

If you have five hours, you can go to the city center. However, keep in mind that you need to be at the airport at least 45 min prior to departure. And it takes about 45 min to get to the city center by S-Bahn and another 45 min to get back. There is no faster way. (There is a Lufthansa bus to the central station, but I'd not recommend it, because it is more expensive and it can get stuck in traffic which the S-Bahn can't.)

So I'd say if you allow for a margin of safety, you can spend about an hour and a half at the city center. It's not much, but it beats sitting around at the airport for 5 hours.

I'd get off at Marienplatz, which is the "main square" you mention. Walk to nearby Viktualienmarkt, then walk to Hauptbahnhof (main station) which will take you about half an hour and it is nice to walk as most of the way will take you through the pedestrian area. You'll pass the Frauenkirche, the famous church with the two belfries. ... You can then take the S-Bahn back to the airport either at the central station, or at Karlsplatz/Stachus, which is a station between Marienplatz and Hauptbahnhof.

I wouldn't go to the Hofbräuhaus. Maybe to look around, but not to have beer or something to eat - there's not that much time. ... If you decide to go there anyway, at least tell them that you'd like to pay right away when you get your beer. That way, you can just leave when it's time to go.

Chesterfield, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 hour layover, too tight to leave the airport?

Thanks for the help and suggestions now I just need to convince my girlfriend to do it!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 hour layover, too tight to leave the airport?

Another possibility is just take the Bus 635 over to Freising, about 20 mins ride. You could enjoy dinner at the Weihenstephan Abbey or our favorite the awsome pub Weißbräu Huber and still have time to spare for your connection.

Edited: 14 July 2012, 15:56
New York
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 hour layover, too tight to leave the airport?

I'd put in my calculus what the consequences are if you miss your flight. If the next one leaves in 2 hours and you don't pay extra, then not much at risk. If the next flight is the next day and/or you pay, then I think you cut it very close. You are (apparently) assuming nothing will go wrong. If your girlfriend is a nervous traveler, will you have a good time?

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,255 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 hour layover, too tight to leave the airport?

I agree about considering the risk of missing the flight. I would also plan to be back at the airport more than 45 min ahead. Freising or Erding would be my choices if I left the airport. If you go into Munich, you'll spend 90 min on the train getting back and forth.

Plattsmouth Ne
Level Contributor
341 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 hour layover, too tight to leave the airport?

Visiting one of the nice small towns nearer the airport makes sense considering the time limits, but the man says he wants to see Munich.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,359 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 hour layover, too tight to leave the airport?

You can also leave your girlfriend at the airport and go straight to the Hofbrauhaus yourself :)

I have not been in Freising yet myself but I heard it is better than Erding, so I would head there in case you will not make it into the center.

As for your decision, if you can get out of the terminal quickly (no delays) I would do it, head to the s-bahn asapm and jump in the first train that is departing.

Have a beer at the Viktualienmarkt when the weather is good.

Chesterfield, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 hour layover, too tight to leave the airport?

thanks for the suggestions, I think visiting Freising makes the most sense, at least we can get to Weihenstephan and not be too stressed with getting back to the airport. I wish we could make it to downtown but its a lot of wasted time gettign back and forth when we have so little time. we definately don;t want to miss the flight home.