We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I leave the airport .....

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
704 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Can I leave the airport .....

if I have my luggage checked through from start to end?

I'll be flying out from Hong Kong on Lufthansa to Florence, Italy via Munich. It is a single booking so LH logically would issue both boarding passes when I check in in Hong Kong and have my luggage check through to the final destination. There is an approx. 6-hour layover at Munich, would I be allowed to leave the airport and do a little excursion around the area or forbidden due to security reasons?

Many thanks!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,985 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I leave the airport .....

You can leave the airport. The only thing that is forbidden due to security reasons is that your luggage flies without you. So if you aren't back in time, they'll unload your luggage.

However, it takes 45 min to get to Munich. So maybe Freising might be a better option. You can reach Freising by bus, and if you have any problems getting back, you can take a taxi because it's not that far.

For bus connections see http//www.mvv-muenchen.de

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
704 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I leave the airport .....

Thanks Petra for your quick reply. I read somewhere in the forum that Erling is also a good place to go. I wanted to visit the town last time I was in Munich but did not due to time constraint, so I guess perhaps I could do it this time.

Another question: I read from the Munich airport website that there are free shower and hot drinks available for transit passengers. It sounds too good to be true so if anyone could verify that for me?

munich-airport.de/en/…index.jsp

Thank you for your help! :-)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
704 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I leave the airport .....

Correction: I meant Erding.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,150 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I leave the airport .....

>> there are free shower and hot drinks

If they list them on the official website of the airport, why do you think it would not be true? I saw free hot drinks and newspaper. If you do a search on the net, you will find other independent websites confirming the shower facility, though you have to pay for(or have your own) towels and supplies.

Edited: 19 July 2012, 21:33
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
704 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I leave the airport .....

bibimbob, I asked because I'm not sure the version I looked at was the latest one. There are airport websites that do not get update very often and most of the time the information listed on it was not valid. The newest travellers' comments on free shower I can found on the web was posted in or before 2010 so I just want to make sure.

Edited: 20 July 2012, 01:55
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I leave the airport .....

Go to munich. You can get a bus/train/etc pass from the airport for about 20 euro for two people. It takes 40 minutes to get to the city center. walk around, enjoy the views and history. It is amazing and you will not regret it. 6 hours is plenty of time to get to the city and back in time for your flight. be careful, you may want to stay :)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
704 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I leave the airport .....

Thanks for your "warning", kate408. :p I visited Munich last year and it was wonderful. I'd love to go again during the layover but the thing is my plane from Hong Kong touches down at around 5am and the next one departs at 11:00-ish so even if there is enough time to visit the city I doubt there will be much to do in that early hours, not to mention intersecting the morning rush hours when going back to the airport.

Erding, Germany
Level Contributor
48 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I leave the airport .....

You have to go by bus to Erding which takes about 35 minutes and only goes about every 40 minutes. Freising is a little closer and the buses travel more frequently. Of course you could take a taxi back from either town if you´re cutting it close. Personally I would take the train to Munich like kate408 said. Even an hour walkabout would be nice. At that hour the shops wouldn´t be open yet but you could grab a cup of coffee and a pastry at bakeries.But be careful: at the moment the trains don´t run through the city main line on the weekends so you wouldn´t be able to get out at Marienplatz (city center).

mvv-muenchen.de/de/…index.html

There are showers in Terminal 2 (after baggage claim in public area) but they cost €15. There are also showers in the Central Area (between Terminal 1 and 2) , they might be free - ask at the Airport Information Desk when you leave the Transit Area.

The free hot drinks are in Terminal 2 near the gates (Lufthansa/Star Alliance departures).

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
704 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I leave the airport .....

Thanks, CrunchiFan. :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply