We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk in for 2 people in oktoberfest tents.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Walk in for 2 people in oktoberfest tents.

hey! i am visiting oktoberfest during the last weekend with my gf and was wondering how difficult/easy it is to enter a tent with no reservation. Can we join people who have a reservation with free seats and obviously pay our share?

Your help is much appreciated. thank you.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,885 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walk in for 2 people in oktoberfest tents.

No.

It is nigh on impossible these days to get into a bier tent on a saturday without a reservation.

Myself and my wife were regular visitors on saturdays and as only 2 of us easy to walk into a tent and find some space somehwere. The last couple of years it has gone plain mad. Last year saw all the tents locked shut due to overfilling by lunchtime despite there being bright sunshine weather. The tents normally locked due to verfilling when it rained.

You can not join a reserved table and "pay your way". Saturday bookings are "dead mans shoes" and obviously been in peoples hands for years. Myself and my wife are going on the last saturday with friends. He has had a booking (5 tables) for the last saturday for 20 years. All friends and family from both Munich and abroad. My wife has had a booking for 10 years for 6 tables and it is all full of friends and colleagues.

Firstly just hope that the Saturday is bright sunshine as that will help. Then just go down the Oktoberfest and if the tents are open just wander in and see if you can see a table (not reserved) has a couple of free spaces and ask to join. Youhave to accept you may well get turned away often.

You can occupy a reserved table up to reservation time. Reservation times for the evenings are from 4pm or 5pm. There will be a piece of paper on the table with a reservation time. Generally all the tables in "boxes" are reservation only. The "boxes" are normally on either side of the tent and near the front and back. Galleries also reservation only. The main floor is free-for-all. A couple of years ago on the last saturday (bright sunshine) myself and my wife went down the Oktoberfest at 1pm went into the Paulaner and sat on a 4pm reserved table and had a beer, then off to Loewenbraeu and another 4pm reserved table until15:45 then off to Hofbraeu. Went up to the gallery and a number of tables were empty. Reservationswere from 5pm so had another beer. When the people turned up for their reservations we got up to leave (without being asked) then they said we could stay.

Sunday you will find it easier but not necessarily easy. You have to be patient and may have to try a number of tents.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walk in for 2 people in oktoberfest tents.

You can join people if they have some free space, and then you ask them nicely if you can join. If yes, you don't have to pay them anything, just pay for your own food and beers :)

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walk in for 2 people in oktoberfest tents.

I just returned from Munich this evening. My sister and I walked into Hippodrom yesterday (Sunday) and found a place for 2 people. It was the most fun I had ever had. Good Luck and Safe Travels!

England
Level Contributor
68 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walk in for 2 people in oktoberfest tents.

Ive just returned from Munich this week and on Sunday we managed to walk into 2 of the beer tents. The first one was packed to the rafters and after a walk round we left and tried our luck in another. We couldnt get a seat in the other tent but a waitress was happy to get us drinks and we just stood and enjoyed the atmosphere. Enjoy!

5. Re: Walk in for 2 people in oktoberfest tents.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2013, 10:16