We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

munich airport to city centre

Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
munich airport to city centre

I would like to know if the s bahn can be easily accessed from terminal 2 by elderly people with luggage. Thank you for taking the time to answer

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,401 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: munich airport to city centre

I guess it depends on how fit they are and how much luggage they have. The S-Bahn station is between the terminals, so there is a walk to get there. It is accessed with an escalator and no luggage carts are allowed. So - if the elderly people can walk through the airport and manage their luggage on the escalator and onto the train, then they will be fine. If they need help with their luggage and/or cannot walk unassisted through the airport, then using the S-Bahn probably isn't an option.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,358 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: munich airport to city centre

The S-Bahn station is at the very center of the airport. And there are also lifts down to the platform.

…mvv-muenchen.de/mvv/…flughafenmuenchen.pdf

The floor level of the S-Bahn trains is identical with the platform level. Thus no steps to get on the trains.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFfEzhxwt_w

a) don't let your luggage carts stand that close to the platform edge as seen in 0:07

b) this sprint at 1:20 by this woman is complete nonsense. This station is the terminal stations for the S-Bahn trains from Munich. And she would have had 6 minutes left before it departs back to Munich.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: munich airport to city centre

getting off the train will be the problem. I just caught it a couple of weeks ago - no one would move out of my way when trying to get off the train with my luggage.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,281 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: munich airport to city centre

Where did you try to get off?

Wellesley...
Level Contributor
83 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: munich airport to city centre

We're traveling from MUC to the Hauptbahnhof in Munich this Friday morning. Should we be indifferent as to whether we catch the S1 or the S8? Other forum postings seem to indicate that they're approx. the same length of time. Thanks!

Edited: 03 October 2012, 01:12
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,358 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: munich airport to city centre

To the Hauptbahnhof it plays no role if you take the S1 or S8. Just hop on the one which departs next at the airport. Albeit the routes taken are different the travel time to Hauptbahnhof is virtually the same.

Wellesley...
Level Contributor
83 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: munich airport to city centre

Thanks, abalada!

Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: munich airport to city centre

Thanks a lot to all of you who helped me. I think you've just saved me the taxi fare.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: munich airport to city centre

Ethleman

I got off at Marienplatz

Edited: 17 October 2012, 07:51
10. Re: munich airport to city centre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 06:19