We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for a Bavarian day trip from Munich

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Ideas for a Bavarian day trip from Munich

I just arrived in Munich today and will be staying here 6 nights. I was supposed to visit neuschwanstein castle on one of the nights but given how much scaffolding is on it at present (the building frankly looks like a mummy right now) I will be skipping this and am hoping to see something else using the bayern pass. We are already visiting Salzburg, Innsbruck and Zugspitze and love nature and the outdoors. Rothenberg is on my radar but not sure about it because of the travel duration.

Edited: 15 October 2012, 23:27
Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
2,974 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for a Bavarian day trip from Munich

How about the palace on the island in Lake Chiemsee? You get there by going on the train to Prien, then taking a ferry boat. You can use the Bayern Pass. Lake Chiemsee is at the base of the Alps, more or less between Munich and Salzburg.

München
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for a Bavarian day trip from Munich

Hi,

would could visit Schloss Linderhof, here the link and how to get there:

schlosslinderhof.de/englisch/…howtoget.htm

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,757 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for a Bavarian day trip from Munich

I suggest not to skip Neuschwanstein castle. I was there 4 weeks ago and the scaffolding is on one side only and does not mar the visit. The view from Marian Bridge had no scaffolding. You can visit the other palace and the museum and have a full satisfing day. We took the horse carrigae and had to walk uphill to the palace (not a big effort) or if you take the bus you come very close to the palace itself.

Another option is to visit Augsburg, makes a nice day trip.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for a Bavarian day trip from Munich

Hi,

The interior of "Mad" King Ludwig's Herrenchiemsee palace is amazing.

Dubai
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for a Bavarian day trip from Munich

Thanks for all your suggestions...I still have a couple more days before I make a decision so still weighing my options. We were in Salzburg today and it was just amazing, easily the best day we've had on this trip thus far.

About the castle, unfortunately, a few weeks ago, while partially covered in scaffolding it was still pleasant enough for the eyes, especially from the bridge. However as per the latest images on tripadvisor as well as live webcams it seems to be almost completely covered when viewed from the bridge. Im surprised given how strange it looks that the tours are still open! I feel, as an avid traveller and amateur photographer that my money would be wasted if I were to come back with an unsatisfactory experience.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,603 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for a Bavarian day trip from Munich

schloss-neuschwanstein.de/englisch/…index.htm

"Update on the renovation work: At present the façade scaffolding is being taken down to a height of four metres. It will remain in place in this reduced form over the winter. Work on the façades will recommence in April and is scheduled for completion in summer 2013."

a) to my knowledge there is no webcam view from the Marienbrücke (Mary's Bridge)

b) the bridge will stay closed till Friday 19. Oct. 2012

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,603 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for a Bavarian day trip from Munich

Further ideas:

- Herrenchiemsee New Palace (was already mentioned)

http://www.herrenchiemsee.de

Which is located on the Herreninsel island in Lake Chiemsee.

- Nördlingen

noerdlingen.de/Noerdlingen-entdecken/Histori…

Completely walled medieval town like Rothenburg ob der Tauber. But just 2 hours by train from Munich (and only 1 change of trains).

- Landshut

landshut.de/fileadmin/files_stadt/downloadbe…

Medieval city. Just 45 min from Munich.

- Regensburg

www.regensburg.de/sixcms/detail.php/3854

Medieval city. UNESCO world heritage site. 90 min from Munich.

- Mittenwald

alpenwelt-karwendel.de/en/mittenwald-holiday

One of the nicest Alpine towns. Could be combined with Garmisch-Partenkirchen or Innsbruck. The train route Munich - Garmisch-Partenkirchen - Mittenwald - Innsbruck is anyway more scenic than the main route Munich - Rosenheim - Kufstein - Innsbruck.

eisenbahnen.at/bilderalben/karwendelbahn.sht…

The Mittenwald (Karwendel) Railway peaks at 1.185 m. The Inn Valley Railway peaks nowhere between Munich Hbf (523 m) and Innsbruck Hbf (582 m).

Dubai
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for a Bavarian day trip from Munich

I took abalada's advice and did the combined Garmisch and Mittenwald trip today and it was excellent. We were very pleased with how the day turned out and my son really enjoyed the stroll around the eibsee. Thank you all.

Given the recent update from everyone here, I have decided to take my chances and visit the castle on the 20th, which is my last free day here. I am hoping the scaffolding is actually reduced to the point of not being a hindrance and that the bridge is indeed open by then, as per the website. Let's see how it goes. For the other 2 days that I have, I will visit Munich zoo and possibly the Olympic stadium area on one day and perhaps do Rotherburg or one of the smaller towns that have been mentioned here. With an 18 month old son, I have play things slightly by ear.

Edited: 18 October 2012, 00:43
newcastle
Level Contributor
179 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideas for a Bavarian day trip from Munich

If you are going to Fussen to see the castles why not also include a trip up the Tegelberg mountain if it is a clear day. The cable car takes you up to the sumit. Fabulous views from the top and also a cafe. Near to the castles is also the beautiful lake Alpsee. The town of Fuessen is certainly worth a visit too. Have fun!

Dubai
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideas for a Bavarian day trip from Munich

Great tip....I did not think of it. My intention was to just visit the bridge, take a pic of the castle and leave to explore Fussen, but weather permitting I will attempt to take the cable car to the top of Tegelberg. The weather in all the towns has been spectacular the last few days. Today we were in Regensburg and again it was beautiful. Let's hope tomorrow it's more or less the same.