We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Desperate for advice

Sydney
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Desperate for advice

Hi there,

Myself and my girlfriend are doing a month's trip through Europe in December and we will be in Munich on the 13th-16th.

I was planning to leave Munich with my girlfriend being my fiancee after visiting Neuschwanstein Castle.

I have a few questions if you could please help me:

1. Out of the days 13th-16th which day do you think would be best?

2. Is there a way I could get there at a time when it is not so busy and have a bit of space? Is there a particular spot there which is good?

3. Is there a way to get there other by train and car. I'm not that confident driving in what will likely be sleet conditions but I also don't want to propose and then catch a train back...nothing screams romance like a train ride. So just wondering if you have any advice here?

I'm kinda stressing because I want it to be special but I need a bit of help.

Regards,

Michael

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,027 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Desperate for advice

I would propose on the far side of Marys bridge, with the castle in the background.

As for transport, there are guided tours from Munich, but that probably isnt what you had in mind. Otherwise, car or train - and I dont think of the train as unromantic at all.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,722 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Desperate for advice

I love a good proposal... do come back and let us know how it goes. There were 3 or 4 proposals I knew about before the bride-to-be at Angkor Wat in Cambodia this year.

If you are planning on going inside the castle, do remember you have to book a tour time in advance - there are lots of posts about this on the forum (just use the search box above your post) but if you just want to go to the bridge, then there is no need for a booking.

Why not stay the night - I recall reading of a hotel nearby with a view of the castle (again check the forum - sorry I can't be more specific)

good luck & congrats in advance

helen

Southern California
Level Contributor
497 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Desperate for advice

You are right, the weather could be foggy and may have some snow. To avoid driving and taking the trains why don't you stay in Fussen and visit all the Ludwig castles: Hohenschwangau, Neuchwanstein and Linderhof. If there is a good day with more romantic scenery, that could be the best setting for your planned proposal. At Mary's bridge, there are lot of people taking photos and scaffolding is blocking the view. Choose the best place that would be a memorable event wherein she remembers a prince charming proposed to her at this castle.

München
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Desperate for advice

Hi,

I think the hotel with the view to the castles was Hotel Müller:

www.hotelmueller.com

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,849 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Desperate for advice

Again you might consider another alternative than Neuschwanstein.

Herrenchiemsee at Lake Chiemsee is another one of König Ludwigs follies (he of Neuschwanstein)

herren-chiemsee.de/englisch/…index.htm

herren-chiemsee.de/englisch/park/index.htm

There are various ferry services to the islands. Take the local steam train to the harbour

chiemsee-schifffahrt.de/files/chiemseeschiff…

chiemsee-schifffahrt.de/files/…fahrplan02.pdf

http://www.chiemsee-schifffahrt.de/

The rail stop is Prien am Chiemsee which is only 1 hour from Munich on the Munich - Salzburg regional train

YOu could use the Bayern Ticket

called the Bayern Ticket. Costs €22 for 1 person then €4 for each additional person up to a total of 5 people. Gives you UNLIMITED use of ALL Regional public transport in Bavaria. Includes ALL Regional trains (includes all Regional trains from Munich to Salzburg - there is a train every hour and the journey takes 2hrs), ALL Regional buses and ALL city transport in Munich, Augsburg and Nürnberg.

Only the fast ICE, IC, EC and RJ Railjet trains are excluded

Valid from 9am weekdays (midnight weekends) until 3am the following morning

Full T&Cs and click on Bayern

bahn.de/i/…laender-ticket.shtml

Sydney
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Desperate for advice

Thank you very much all of you.

So would you suggest it be best to still stay in Munich and take the day trip to the castle/s or stay a night down there?

München
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Desperate for advice

I would stay one day at the castle and take a room at Hotel Müller and have a nice dinner. You want be in such a hurry and can discover Füssen, too.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Desperate for advice

I second Susi.

Stay a night in Füssen, preferably in a hotel with a view of the castle.

Sydney
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Desperate for advice

Fantastic.

So my thinking is that we arrive in Munich early from Budapest via Train on the 13th.

We would spend the day exploring Munich - storing our luggage at the train station.

Then perhaps in late afternoon we take the train down to Fussen and look at Hotel Muller? Then on the 14th go to the Castle, and later that day train back to Munich for the remainder of our Munich site-seeing.

Does that sound like an OK plan or too much hassle?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,203 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Desperate for advice

1. Well I'd go there on the 13th or 14th, to avoid the weekend.

2. If you are a VIP and can afford to have the whole castle shut down for you, you'll have more space. ... Sorry ;-)

3. I understand that you don't want to rush back to Munich. Why don't you spend one night at Füssen? They have a couple of quite decent hotels. Yes, changing hotels is a hassle, but it's not as bad as that. You leave your luggage there when you arrive in Füssen by train, and by the time you have finished visiting the castle, your room will be ready.