We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas market in Munich for 5 hours stopover.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas market in Munich for 5 hours stopover.

Hi,

I just want to ask if it is possible for me to visit Christmas Market in Munich even if I only have 5 hours stop over?

Ill be arriving Munich at 1pm and depart Munich at 6pm.

How do I get to the Christmas market if i am from Munich Int'l Airport?

Thanks in advance.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,029 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas market in Munich for 5 hours stopover.

Easy

If on your own simply purchase the "Airport City Day Card - Single"

Costs €11 and gives you unlimited use of the entire public transport network. Don't need to stamp it or show it (unless requested to do so by a random ticket inspection)

mvv-muenchen.de/en/…index.html

You can get it from the ticket machine on the platform itself or in the foyer between Terminal 1 & 2

then jump on the next S-Bahn (S8 or S1) directly to Marienplatz.

The S8 is faster (38mins) than the S1 (50mins) and the S1 is a dual service so you have to be on the correct part of the train.

Returning to the Airport you can pick up the S8 (or S1) from Marienplatz OR Karlsplatz/Stacchus whichisa at the other end of the pedestrian zone from Marienplatz

S-Bahn/U-Bahn network

mvv-muenchen.de/en/…index.html and click on the first map "Urban Rail Network"

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas market in Munich for 5 hours stopover.

Thanks giftzwerg! Great! So it is just a train away from the airport. So i believe I still have at least an hour or 2 to see the Xmas market?

Norddeutschland
Level Contributor
301 posts
807 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas market in Munich for 5 hours stopover.

Hi,

depends on how close you want to cut it. Getting out of the airport to the railway sattion will atke you 10 min, 10 min waiting 38 train. So you will be there at best 1 hour after landing (assuming you come in from a Schengen country and do not have a remote stand). Getting back you need 10 min waiting tiime, allow 50 min driving and then about 60 min to reenter security, passport controll and the second check for US flights. That is two hours, so 2 hours will be left.

Florian

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas market in Munich for 5 hours stopover.

Thanks Florian, as I go thru your reply, it is a bitbrisky to do this am I correct? May I ask for a suggestion if there is anything i can can do for 5 hrs stopover? Or it is safe just to stay at the airport? Ill be travelling to Berlin by the way. :-)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas market in Munich for 5 hours stopover.

Hi

There is a Christmas Market at the airport - that may be a more relaxed trip than getting out of the airport onto the S Bahn and into town and back.

There are also plenty of shops and good restaurants in the airport - or you could take a short journey trip to Freising by bus.

Have a good trip!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas market in Munich for 5 hours stopover.

Hi lancashirelass012, thanks. I just did what youve suggested above. Twas fun. Thanks :-)

7. Re: Christmas market in Munich for 5 hours stopover.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 14:17