We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer September questions

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
First timer September questions

First timer here. I was beginning to plan for the first 10 days of September, then I read Oktoberfest starts September 21.

Do people arrive weeks ahead? Is early September very crowded? Is it hard to get rooms/flights/cars that early in month?

I was thinking Berlin,train to Munich,driving Bavaria,return Munich for flight out.

Thanks much!

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Bavaria
Bavaria
Germany
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer September questions

>Do people arrive weeks ahead?

No, don't worry.

>Is early September very crowded?

No.

>Is it hard to get rooms/flights/cars that early in month?

No.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer September questions

Well that solves that! Ill go ahead with that time frame.

Thank You!

Sydney, Australia
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer September questions

i am going to Germany for 3 days during the same time - late August early September. I want to spend these 3 days in Bavaria. Main interests are : beer(visit the breweries), food (eat sausages), see architecture (sight seeing). Would you be able to suggest a few town that you think i should visit? i know its not a long time but we still want to make most of it. thank you

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Bavaria
Bavaria
Germany
USA
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer September questions

Bamberg is the beer epicenter of Germany, and possibly of all of central Europe: One of its nicknames is "The Town of Pregnant Men."

It also has a lovely old town split by the Regnitz River--very scenic and romantic but not uber-touristy like, for example, Rothenburg od Tauber. Lots of history in Bamberg--it's a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Vermont
Level Contributor
202 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer September questions

Hello Fellow Bostonian. We visited Munich, Salzburg and Prague last September with the bulk of our time in Munich because of my husband's business. You will feel very comfortable because it will remind you of Boston but the pace of life is slower and more simple than Boston. The weather was unusually warm and I was very happy that I brought light weight pants and t-shirt with me. There is a lot to do and everyone was most gracious to us. Have a fun time!

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer September questions

Thanks Vermontgirl. Its funny how so many European cities we've been to remind us of Boston! We're really looking forward to Germany an thinking of at least adding

If anyones trying to decide I think September is a great time for Europe. Kids back to school, less crowds, accomodation prices drop from summer high season.

As Vermontgirl said, whether is still warm for outdoor activities, but nights are cool for sleeping. We've hardly ever had consistent rain or bad weather visiting in September.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Germany
Germany
Europe
Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer September questions

Nataliya, you might also consider Regensburg. I don't know about their beer, but there is a sausage place on the river that is supposed to be the oldest "fast food" restaurant in Europe. It was built in the Middle Ages, for the workers constructing the bridge over the Danube. There are also beautiful Gothic and Baroque churches in Regensburg, and a nice pedestrian area, easily accessible by train from Munich. It's more or less between Bamberg and Munich.

8. Re: First timer September questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2014, 07:17