We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from Munich airport to Zell am See, Austria

attard
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
travel from Munich airport to Zell am See, Austria

Can you please advise the best way to travel to Zell am See and if tickets can be bought at the time of travel. I would also like to know the approximate cost of travel (cheapest) for I adult and I child (11 years).

I would need a return ticket. Approximately how long would the journey take please?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from Munich airport to Zell am See, Austria

go to www.bahn.de .Enter Munich aiport/Muenchen Flughafen to Zell am See.This will give you the train schedules, number of changes of trains, travel times and ticket prices.

There are two ways you can reduce the prices:

(1) Decide onthe specific days and trains and buy the tickets on the Internet (again on www.bahn.de) 92 days before your travel. Be sure you read the instructions. This is probably the simplest way to travel ; don;t know if its the cheapest

(2) Upon arrival in Munich, at the airport DB train ticket counter, buy a Bavaria ticket from the airport to Kufstein (the German/ Bavarian border with Austria), and a regular ticket from Kufstein to Zell am See. The Bavaria ticket for one person costs EUR22, for two EUR26. I am not sure if your 11 year old needs a ticket, I believe so. So the ticket for the two of you would be EUR26. I don't know the costs of the Kufstein - Zell portion of the trip, but you can figure it out by entereing Kufetin - Zell am See.

The aBvaria ticket is subject to some restrictions: Only Regio (not IC, ICE or EC ) trains; on weekdays, trip cannot start before 9AM.

For your return to Munich, most likely you cannot buy the Bavarian ticket for the section Kufstein - Munich airport in Zell am See. So you would have to buy a ticket Zell am See - Kufstein , and then get a Bavarian ticket in Kufstein.

You may repost your inquiry also on the Austria Forum, perhaps there someone can give you a fare savng idea for travel between Kufstein and Zell and Zell to Kufstein.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,869 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from Munich airport to Zell am See, Austria

> I am not sure if your 11 year old needs a ticket, I believe so

Free if traveling on a Bayern Ticket with a parent. Thus Bayern Ticket for one is sufficient (EUR 22,00).

The savings are however not big compared to a point-to-point ticket at Munich Airport from there to Zell am See on spot. Maybe EUR 10,00. But with such a ticket you're not restricted to regional trains on the Munich to Kufstein or Salzburg part.

For the return trip it will make most sense to buy a discounted special in advance through the DB timetable. There are no discounts for return tickets, these are just the sum of the outward and return trip.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: MUC

Destination: Zell am See

attard
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from Munich airport to Zell am See, Austria

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. Much appreciated. Have a good day!

4. Re: travel from Munich airport to Zell am See, Austria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Munich