We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neuschwanstein

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Neuschwanstein

Is it possible to visit this and other castles in early December? If so, can anyone recommend a private guide for this? I've checked tours such as Viator and they don't do this at that time of year. Thanks!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,400 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Neuschwanstein

Viator is just a reseller for the Grayline/Autobus Oberbayern tour. Which runs every day except for the 5 days listed

stadtrundfahrten-muenchen.de/en/…

You can visit most castles also easily using public transport. Esp. if you're not travelling alone this is the cheapest option.

Only Linderhof and Neuschwanstein on the same day won't work.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,081 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Neuschwanstein

You get the same tour inside Neuschwanstein whether you go with an organized tour or go on your own. The main differences, as I see them, are that if you go on your own you can stay as long as you wish, and perhaps see a bit more than the organized tour, and that on your own you will save a bit of money on transportation. It is totally easy to go on your own: train from Munich to Fuessen (about 2 hours), then a bus from Fuessen to Hohenschwangau (10 minutes).

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Neuschwanstein

I didn't realize we could do it with public transportation and driving in December is out! Thank you guys so much!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Level Contributor
48 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Neuschwanstein

Realistically you can only do the three Castles in one day if you have a hire car or take a taxi,you could take the bus or train to Fuessen,see the two Castles,It´s also worth seeing Fuessen itself which is a sadly ignored town full of surprises,and then move onto Linderhof but in Winter it shuts at 4.00pm and only the Palais itself is open.

There are quite a few tour guides in Munich who do smaller Groups but tend to be very expensive,sometimes upto €500 and beyond!

Obviously its cheaper if you take a Tour Bus from Munich or Garmisch but availability is very limited in Winter,If you are in Garmisch please contact me as I do Castle Tours to Neuschwanstein with a fully licensed vehicle,beware of `Private tour using my car´etc,they are not legal!

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187302-…

Edited: 07 August 2013, 15:18
5. Re: Neuschwanstein

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 02:24
6. Re: Neuschwanstein

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 07:18