We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Innsbruck or Salzburg

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
778 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Innsbruck or Salzburg

Hi I am going to Munich in the middle of May, I cannot decide on which day trip to take, they both look beautiful, I love scenery, cafe's, just want to take in the sights, take lots of pictures, are the mountains close by in either place, I would like to maybe go for a hike. I am also going to take a day trip to Mittenwald.

One more question, what is the weather like in May. I am sure I will have a million more questions

Thanks

Edited: 21 March 2013, 16:43
Mentioned in this post
Mittenwald
Mittenwald
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Innsbruck or Salzburg

> are the mountains close by in either place, I would like to maybe go for a hike.

For this Mittenwald (923 m - altitude of the train stations) is far better than Salzburg (424 m) or Innsbruck (574 m). For comparison: Munich is at 518 m.

As city Salzburg has much more to offer on sights than Innsbruck.

May is generally a good month. Decent temperatures and medium precipitation. Most likely you'll have a mix of sunshine and rain. But it could be also either.

Mentioned in this post
Mittenwald
Mittenwald
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,408 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Innsbruck or Salzburg

I agree with Abalada. Since you are already going to Mittenwald you will get a good view of the Alps (which Innsbruck would provide over Salzburg, but nothing else over Salzburg IMO). The Altstadt (old town) of Salzburg I much prefer over Innsbruck’s.

In Salzburg’s Altstadt there are many beautiful buildings and sites to take pictures of. And there seems to be an endless supply of fantastic fountains! Not to mention Hohensalzburg Castle, the Sound of Music stuff, the Motzart stuff and on and on.

See this for some ideas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salzburg

If you do go to Salzburg, have a beer in the biergarten of the Stieglkeller. Great view overlooking Salzbuger Dom and the Altstadt. Dusk is a great time to view it!

They are both good cities, but I would chose Salzburg over Innsbruck.

PROST!!

Mentioned in this post
Mittenwald
Mittenwald
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Innsbruck or Salzburg

Another vote for Salzburg, such a fantastic old town, lots to see there. Fortress, palace, cathedrals, lovely architecture. Nearby day trips to lake district, Hohenwerfen, Berchtesgaden (40 mins by bus) and Koenigsee (lake cruise).

(We are off to Mittenwald this summer, for the mountain views and hiking).

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Mittenwald
Mittenwald
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
778 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Innsbruck or Salzburg

Thanks for all your replies, Salzburg it is.

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
5. Re: Innsbruck or Salzburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2014, 05:18