We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich incl Italy, Switzerland, France touring?

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Munich incl Italy, Switzerland, France touring?

Hi everyone!, I'm from Australia and I'm interested in going to England/Europe in September or October in 2013. I'm going to be living and working in England (hopefully). I don't know if I should go over at the start of September and fly either to England from Brisbane and then train it or fly to France and do a tour of France, Italy, Switzerland and then end in Munich for the Oktoberfest then fly back to England or from Australia I could fly to France or another country involved that I would like to travel in OR go at the end of September and do the Oktoberfest (solely or with a tour) and then depart from Munich on a tour to do the countries that I would like to travel through and then at the end of the tour, I would leave that country and go back to England for work.

I would like to be in England for Christmas and New Years with a job. Where is the best place to get a job for an Australian? What is the procedures for the company and myself if I would like to work there? Is it hard? What do I need?

And in relation to the job, Where is the best place to live for that? Cheaply (around 150 AUD) and close to transport but safe also for a 21 year old female?

All in all, I would love to either travel then work or work then travel. What's the best option?

As if I have a job lined up, on the weekends or whenever I have time off I can go back over to the main countries of Europe and see what I want to see more of. Mostly Italy, definitively. As I'm obsessed with it!!! :)

My budget is about $1500 AUD for a tour and then an extra $2000 for spending, rent (if i have a place), food and transport until I get a job and then I'll be on stable wages. But when I get there I'm able to live in Portsmouth with a friend for two weeks until I find a place to live and a decent job. After I save up from the job, I'm going to go on a big tour of England to see the amazing beautiful sights it has to offer!!

Any and all comments, suggestions, help would be greatly appreciated! Thank-you :)

Edited: 25 March 2013, 14:11
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,598 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich incl Italy, Switzerland, France touring?

Assuming "from Australia" means an Australian citizen without UK or EU citizenship, have you looked into work permit issues?

I would expect there to be quite large obstacles, I'm sorry to say.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich incl Italy, Switzerland, France touring?

There seem to be a lot of questions. I can't speak to the issues of working in the UK - you might look into another forum for the practicalities and advice on that.

As for your travel on the continent, I don't think it matters too much which order you do it. I wouldn't fly into the UK unless you needed to set up arrangements there first. It would be easier and probably cheaper to fly straight to France, Italy, or Germany. I wouldn't try to cram too much into a 2-3 week travel period. Unless you're selective, visiting Italy, Switzerland, France, and Germany in that much time could well be too rushed.

September might have better weather than October, and will certainly have longer daylight hours. Then again, October probably offers advantages too, such as autumn produce and harvest festivals in Italy.

Make sure you book lodging for Oktoberfest well in advance! Now is not too soon to do so.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich incl Italy, Switzerland, France touring?

You should ask questions about job permits in the UK somewhere else. Not on a Munich travel forum.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,699 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich incl Italy, Switzerland, France touring?

https://www.gov.uk/ Have a look here for what the conditions are to work in the UK, Plenty of Aussies and Kiwis do it ,I think it it fairly easy for a period of up to 18 months. Many work in the bars/restaurants and hotels in London.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,451 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich incl Italy, Switzerland, France touring?

@Laura3092 I think your post is a bit open ended, about travel and about working in the UK. This is a Munich travel forum, so if you want to post queries about travelling in Germany, about transport etc. then it would be the correct forum. Please post again with a more specific question regarding travels.

Having said the above, you should not have any difficulties in getting a 'Youth mobility scheme' visa

(…homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/…)

My daughter was granted a 2 year visa in 2011, but, after having trouble securing an employment in her chosen profession (Library Science/Archiving) in Glasgow., decided to return home last July.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,927 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich incl Italy, Switzerland, France touring?

Hi Laura. I was born in England but have lived in Aus for 40 years. My daughter worked in the UK a couple of years ago in a pub. She didn't need a visa as she had a UK passport due to it being my birthland, but all the other employees were also either Australians or New Zealanders and they all easily got work permits.

Pub work seems to be the most common. On my last couple of trips, every single bar person I have met has come from Australia or New Zealand.

One of the barmen I spoke to said that he got his job through an agency here in Australia that sets you up with pub work before leaving here. Not sure who it is but do a bit of googling and I am sure you will find out.

Good luck.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,598 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Munich incl Italy, Switzerland, France touring?

This thread has gone sideways, my fault. OP didn't ask about work permits. I raised this, as UK govt has tightened up on immigration matters by restricting work permits.

I just wanted her to check on the current situation before committing herself, in case of disappointment.

So blame me!

8. Re: Munich incl Italy, Switzerland, France touring?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2014, 05:17