We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling Munich to Salzburg and back

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling Munich to Salzburg and back

We will be to Munich for a few days and then head to Salzburg. We are planning on buying the Bayern ticket from Munich to Salzburg but I was wondering can we buy this ticket ahead of time on the German side to travel back from Salzburg to Munich or can you buy it in Salzburg?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling Munich to Salzburg and back

You can buy it in Salzburg on the day of departure from there. . It's an exception despitebthe fact that Salzburg is in Austria

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling Munich to Salzburg and back

Thank you for the information. Is the Bayern ticket good to get us back to Munich airport when we are travelling back from Salzburg?

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling Munich to Salzburg and back

Bayern tickets are valid for one day - 9am to 3am weekdays and all day weekends - if you are doing Salzburg as a day trip you will be fine just using the one ticket. If you are staying o'nite in Salzburg you'll need another ticket but it will take you to anywhere in Munich

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,545 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling Munich to Salzburg and back

> but I was wondering can we buy this ticket ahead of time on the German side to travel back from Salzburg to Munich

You can. At the ticket machines you can select a different date. Default is today. At the counter this is possible as well - but there the Bayern Ticket will cost EUR 2 more.

> can you buy it in Salzburg?

You can. Salzburg Hbf is shared by ÖBB (Austrian Railways) and DB (German Rail). And counts from either side as "domestic".

But apart from this you can buy a Bayern Ticket everywhere in Austria from ÖBB ticket machines and counters. Like you can buy in Bavaria also the Austrian Einfach-Raus-Ticket from DB ticket machines.

> Is the Bayern ticket good to get us back to Munich airport when we are travelling back from Salzburg?

Yes. Bayern Ticket covers all of Bavaria (plus Salzburg Hbf). This includes even Munich Airport ;-)

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling Munich to Salzburg and back

Thanks so much for the information. Just want to make sure I dont come across unexpected expenses because I did not understand something.

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
258 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling Munich to Salzburg and back

Was easy enough to do. We did it day of.

And one of the beautiful things my wife and I found in Munich was if we ever stood at a ticket machine at the Hauptbahnhof scratching our heads, some kindly person came over and helped us out.

7. Re: Travelling Munich to Salzburg and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2014, 06:16