We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary critique please! 14 day trip to Germany and Austri

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
mumbai, india
Level Contributor
28 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary critique please! 14 day trip to Germany and Austri

Hi all,

My family and I will spend 2 weeks in Germany and Austria on holiday and the intention is to mix sightseeing with a bit of activity such as biking, walking etc. The itinerary is as follows:

27 April 2013 - 0600 Hrs arrival in Munich after a 8.5 hour transcontinental flight

Hire a car at the airport and drive to Salzburg.

27 - 30 April: Salzburg (3 nights)

30 April - 2 May: Innsbruck (2 nights)

2 May - 5 May: Hagnau am Bodensee (3 nights)

5 - 7 May: Freiburg + Europa Park (2 nights)

7 - 11 May : Munich (4 nights)

11 May - depart from Munich

On the drive between Innsbruck - Hagnau, we plan to see Neuschwanstein Castle. On the drive from Freiburg to Munich, we plan to see Dachau. Other than this all other sightseeing will be done in the respective ciites (including bike tours). We will be driving between the cities and using public transport within the cities.

How does the itinerary sound? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Best regards

Mohan

Lanark, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary critique please! 14 day trip to Germany and Austri

Sounds busy, busy, busy!! Several hours driving every few days is not my idea of a holiday! But you'll certainly see a lot!!

mumbai, india
Level Contributor
28 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary critique please! 14 day trip to Germany and Austri

With the exception of the Freiburg - Munich, all other drives are ~ 2 hours. Doable I think.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary critique please! 14 day trip to Germany and Austri

I would skip overnightss in Innsbruck and instead continue and spend the nights either in Mittenwald or Garmisch. From there you have the opportunity to fo hald day or day trips to see Schloss Linderhof (I prefer it over Neuschwanstein), take the cog wheel train to the top of the Zugspitze or from Mittenwald the cable car up the Karwendel mounains. From Fuessen drive to Lindau via Reutte , Weissenbach, Nessewaengle, Oberjoch and from Hindelang take the German Alpine Road (Deutsche Alpenstrasse ) B-308 to the Autbahn A-96 that takes you to the old island town of Lindau. Overnight there once or twice (with visit by boat to Bregenz). From there along the Northshore of Lake Constance to Meersburg, Ueberlingen and FReiburg, via Geisingen, Titisee. .

Dachau is best visited from Munich. It's only a short ride on the S-Bahn (suburban train). Won't take more than half-day for the entire trip, incl. visit. .

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
66 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary critique please! 14 day trip to Germany and Austri

only problem i see is combining the drive freiburg munich with visiting the memorial in dachau. too much for one day. i'd say make dachau a half day trip when you are in munich.

5. Re: Itinerary critique please! 14 day trip to Germany and Austri

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 05:17