We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich - Salzburg - Vienna - Prague -Munich

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Highland Park...
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Munich - Salzburg - Vienna - Prague -Munich

We are leaving for Europe this weekend for 19 days and plan to spend time in all of the cities listed.

We have a timeshare in the Salzburg area and plan on staying there either 4 or 5 days depending on what we want to do the rest of the trip.

We fly in and out of Munich and I planned on driving to our time share near Salzburg (3.5 hours map quest) after we arrive at 8 pm. (driving back to Lake Chiemsee as a day trip.)

Questions, should we spend the night in Munich and do the day trip the next day to our time share so we dont miss the drive? Also, are there any adjustments you would make to the following itenary and are there must see places along the route. We originaly planned to go to Budapest until I chose Prague over Budapest based on internet information. Rest of the itinerary...

Salzburg (1 hour away) 5 nights

Vienna 4 nights

Prague 4 nights

Germany area 3 nights (including Regensburg)

Return to Munich 3 nights

We are driving and I'm not worried about paying to park in the big cities. It's still cheaper and more convenient than dropping off cars and picking them back up.

Thanks for any advice any of you may have. Thanks!

Southern Gal

Edited: 17 May 2013, 16:15
Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich - Salzburg - Vienna - Prague -Munich

Hi Southern Gal

Two points to consider.

First, to drive on the primary roads in Austria, you MUST have a an Austrian toll vignette properly affixed to the windshield of your rental car. If you don't, you can get stopped and fined on the spot.

You can buy the vignette at gas stations on the German side of the border. They have one that's valid for 10 days for 8.30 €.

http://www.asfinag.at/en/maut/vignette

Second, many rental companies will not permit their cars to be driven into the Czech Republic, especially their higher end models (BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and even VW). Something you may want to check in the fine print of your rental agreement.

Here's an interesting guide on how to drive in Germany, complete with images of their road signs.

www.gettingaroundgermany.info/autobahn.shtml

Enjoy your trip.

Zed

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,927 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich - Salzburg - Vienna - Prague -Munich

> First, to drive on the primary roads in Austria, you MUST have a an Austrian toll vignette

Same with the Czech Republic.

> We are driving and I'm not worried about paying to park in the big cities.

In Vienna, Prague and Munich you won't need a car. Secure parking is in Prague a must. Expect that you'll have to pay always for parking. Also at the hotels. For sightseeing in these cities a car is useless as this will cost you more time and money than to use public transport.

Lake Chiemsee is between Munich Airport and Salzburg. To travel via Munich is a detour, you may stay the first night somewhere near Lake Chiemsee.

http://tourismus.prien.de/en/

Highland Park...
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich - Salzburg - Vienna - Prague -Munich

Thanks to both of you. I've been reading the travel forums and already checked into my car. Are there any other places along my route that you would recommend me seeing? Is budapest nice enough to plan to stop by "while I'm in the neighborhood?

Highland Park...
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich - Salzburg - Vienna - Prague -Munich

Zed, thanks for the great links. I was just looking through them.

Also, I'm quiet excited to get on the Autobahn again. When I drove it previously, it was winter and icy and snowy. I didnt have the courage to go faster with the road conditions. I think I will get the excitement of driving as fast as I want without getting a ticket. (I still think I will be in the slow lane.)

I'm looking forward to the trip.

Susan

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich - Salzburg - Vienna - Prague -Munich

Hi Susan,

Glad to help. I second the suggestion to stay at Lake Chiemsee. Very nice lakeside resort area with one of King Ludwig's palaces on Herrenchiemsee, and island in the lake.

Enjoy! Gute Reise!

Zed

6. Re: Munich - Salzburg - Vienna - Prague -Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2014, 06:17