We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it possible?

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Topic
is it possible?

Arriving on a flight into Munich at 8:00am. We will be starting a 13 night tour of Germany, Switzerland and Austria that does NOT include Neuschwanstein castle. The tour does include Linderhof, however my daughter would love to see Neuschwanstein ( I have already seen it). All of the day tours that I have researched on line, begin at 8:30 or 9:00 am.

Assuming that the flight arrives on time. And assuming 2 hours for immigration, luggage, and transport to the hotel, is it possible to leave from Munich see the castle and return by 6:30 pm.?

We would miss our only free time in Munich, as we will leave Munich the following day. Any advice is so much appreciated!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is it possible?

why do you need to go to the hotel first?

ohio
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: is it possible?

I am assuming that we do... but now that you mention it..... maybe we can meetthe tour rep and send our luggage to the hotel and leave from the airport. Great idea!!!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,713 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is it possible?

>maybe we can meetthe tour rep and send our luggage to the hotel and leave from the airport. Great idea!!!

What tour rep? what do you mean with sending luggage to the hotel? The usual way would be to simply buy a Bayern-Ticket and take the train to Füssen - as you have to go via main station anyway you can put the luggage into a locker there and continue to Füssen.

The alternative would be renting a car for a day but it is generally a bad idea to drive in unfamiliar areas under unfamiliar rules while tired after a long flight.

Unless of course you plan to organize a private tour only for yourself - no idea who would do it but I assume the costs will be in the range of 300-400 € or more.

ohio
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: is it possible?

We are taking a Cosmos tour and they generally meet you and take you (and your luggage to the hotel). But leaving from the airport via train would certainly seem like a faster/easier do it! So, I would think that we could send our luggage with the rep and go off on our merry way.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
2,997 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is it possible?

It's really easy to get to Neuschwanstein independently. Just check the train schedules at the German railroad site die Bahn, with a beginning point of Munich airport and end point of Hohenschwangau, Schwangau (Schloesser). You might want to reserve your Neuschwanstein tickets on line ahead of time, once you figure out what time you'll get there. You need to pick up the tour tickets at least an hour before the scheduled time, to allow time to get to the top of the mountain.

http://www.bahn.com/i/view/index.shtml

neuschwanstein.de/englisch/palace/index.htm

ohio
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: is it possible?

Thank you so much for the info. Do you happen to know how long it would take to get to the castle on the train?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,923 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: is it possible?

DB timetable (in the end same link like the first one in answer #5)

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: München Flughafen Terminal

Destination: Hohenschwangau, Schwangau (Schlösser)

You can do this trip on a Bayern Ticket (Bavaria Ticket). Covers the complete trip from Munich Airport (Flughafen) to Hohenschwangau (where the castles are). Incl. the buses from Füssen train station to Hohenschwangau. Is however on weekdays only valid past 9am.

bahn.de/i/…bavaria-ticket.shtml

ohio
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: is it possible?

Thank you so much!

9. Re: is it possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 05:18