We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Recommendation -near main rail station (?)

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,287 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Recommendation -near main rail station (?)

hello!

First off, I am sorry for this question- we did look at the Top Questions and do some searching, but I am pressed for time to research our three nights in Munich, and hoping I can get some additional tips or recs right from 'the horses' mouths' :) .

We are two female travelers who are going to be in Africa for ten days and then stopping on our way back to Canada in Germany- flying from Nairobi into Frankfurt and then train down to Munich where we will stay three nights.

We would like recommendations for a good mid-range hotel (we will share a double room) in Munich- I have no idea what the best location(s) would be?

We want to be in a nice area where we can walk to restaurants, shopping, the sights. Also we'd like to be close to the main train station as we are planning on doing some day trips- to Dachau and to a castle or two.

Any suggestions for us? TIA.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,821 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Recommendation -near main rail station (?)

Take a look at Rosenheimerplatz area. Hilton, Novotel, HI are all there. Rail line under the hotels will take you to Dachau. 15 mins to main station for Neuschwanstein, bearing in mind cheap ticket starts at 9, or 5 min to Munich East stn for Herrenchiemsee palacs.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,879 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Recommendation -near main rail station (?)

You would do well to avoid hotels on Schillerstr. near the main railway station.

It is a seedy street with sleazy sex bars.

A nice little hotel near the main railway station would be Hotel Eder: http://www.hotel-eder.de/pages/main-e.html

But like all the area around the main train station, you wouldn't really have the feeling of staying in Bavaria, it is more a Middle Eastern kind of feeling with plenty of kebab eateries around.

I would recommend also having a look at the Hotel Blauer Bock in the historical old city of Munich, just off the Viktualienmarkt, only 300m from Marienplatz: http://www.hotelblauerbock.de/?lang=en

This hotel is within walking distance of all the sights, and the location couldn't be bettered.

It is near the S-Bahn stop Marienplatz, so you would have a direct line to Dachau, and it's only 5 minutes by S-Bahn from the main railway station, but it's in a much nicer region than the area around the train station.

They have all kinds of twin rooms, all prices include their ample breakfast buffet and wifi (pre-paid rates):

- 70€ for an economy twin with a shared bathroom on the corridor

- 135€ for a standard twin with ensuite bathroom

Edited: 22 May 2013, 06:47
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Recommendation -near main rail station (?)

We were quite happy with the Dolomit .. close to the Hbf (100m), nothing fancy but clean, warm & comfortable. from memory around 50euro per night/double with ensuite

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Recommendation -near main rail station (?)

have to agree with the past 2 posters.

All the recommended hotels are spot on and strangely I have had visitors stay in all of them and all were content.

Novotel and Hilton would be a step above the rest but Blauer Bock is a brilliant choice for the location.

Business hotels like the Novotel and Hilton normally have very good weekend rates and sometimes good advance deals if you check the hotel groups website (Novotel recently had stay 3nights pay 2 and also a 50% off sale - which for this property is very good as its better than most others of the brand and has pool, sauna etc.).

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,287 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Recommendation -near main rail station (?)

We are there during the week so no weekend rates for us, but that is ok.

Thanks so much! I had looked at Hotel Eder but would prefer a more traditional German area, I think- so I will look at some of the others.

Very excited for my first trip to Germany- thanks so much!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,287 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Recommendation -near main rail station (?)

We ended up booking The Rocco Forte Charles! Thanks again for your help.

7. Re: Hotel Recommendation -near main rail station (?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2014, 05:17