We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental question - insurance

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
shanghai
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
Car rental question - insurance

We plan to rent a car in Munich from Avis. It seems the super-CDW (with zero payment) is very costly (20 euro per day?) and there are third-party insurance websites providing such coverage.

So has anyone used such third-party insurance services and how does it work? Anyone successfully claimed reimbursement from such third-party websites?

Thanks!

Virginia
Level Contributor
86 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental question - insurance

Some VISA credit cards offer insurance if you use that card to rent the car. We did not receive a reimbursement for anything to know how that worked.

Paris
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental question - insurance

I would avoid AVIS in Munich Airport, last month, I rented a car at Avis from Munich airport for 6 days, when we brought the car back, the Avis employee inspected the car very closely as she knew exactly were to find scratches !

Long story short, I had to pay 400€ for a scratch to the front wheel. ..

I saw on different web sites that this happens very frequently to people renting Avis from Munich Airport, I supposed they have found an easy way to earn more money out of tourists like us !

So I would never rent again from Avis.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,341 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental question - insurance

To be fair the wheels are the first place that I look for unlisted damage when I pick up a rental car,mostly there is some. It is also the first place the staff look ! This goes for all rental companies that I have used

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental question - insurance

We rented from Avis in Frankfurt and returned the car to Munich with no problems, but we chose to pay for the extra insurance just so there would be nothing to worry about. Some of the parking garages at hotels were very cramped so we were happy to have the extra peace of mind.

shanghai
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental question - insurance

So EmeraldDiva do you buy the so-called super-CDW? But it seems that it only covers part of the car (chassis not included for instance)..

Thanks,

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,724 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental question - insurance

The obvious issue is with 3rd party CDW (mostly offered by UK-based companies) you have to pay whatever damages up front out of your own pocket and wait for the insurance to pay you back.

Certain car rental companies do not allow their cars to leave the lot without THEIR approved CDW options. Please read the fine prints. This shouldn't apply to AVIS.

Most premium credit/charge cards offer rental car insurance IF the cards are issued in North America or certain countries. This is of little use to OP based in Shanghai.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental question - insurance

I checked the paperwork and we did pay for "super insurance". The Avis person told us that we were completely covered and if damage or theft occurred, we would not be required to pay anything. Fortunately we did not have to test that out. It is expensive, but we felt it was worth it for peace of mind, even more so when they upgraded us to a beautiful new Volvo wagon!

On returning the car to Munich airport, the attendant only gave the car a quick once over before sending us on our way.

8. Re: Car rental question - insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2014, 06:19