We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to ack for early September visit

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
houston tx
Level Contributor
262 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
What to ack for early September visit

I will be visiting in early September. Would like to travel light. What should I pack? Type of shoes, clothes, jacket? Will be visiting around Germany and one day in Prague. Thank you!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,312 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to ack for early September visit

If you are a true wine lover, have a look at what I wrote a while back about Germany's best wineries, tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187275-i116-k4640… . Munich is a long way from wine country!

When packing for any time of year in Germany, dress in layers. In early September the weather can vary from hot to cool (high 50F). The most common temperatures will be somewhere in between. Of course, rain can happen any time of the year.

houston tx
Level Contributor
262 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to ack for early September visit

Thanks for your reply. Yes I love wine however we will only be in Germany 3 days and staying about and hour NW of Munich.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
189 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to ack for early September visit

We visited in the last two weeks in September last year and also went to Prague and Salzburg for a total of 12 days. We were very fortunate to have great weather with two days of drizzle. I brought a summer weight and a medium weight of pair of pants and wore jeans on the plane. For tops, I brought 2 short sleeved t shirts, 2 long sleeve t-shirts, a couple of wash and wear blouses, and 3 light weight cardigan sweaters. Everything was color coordinated. I also brought a silk thermal top in the event of very cold weather and a nylon raincoat. Can't tell what gender you are but if your female, I brought 2 scarves to dress up my outfits for dinner or the theatre. For shoes, I wore a pair of black Sperry topsiders and packed a pair of black sneakers. This all fit into the first size of checkable luggage. Yes, I had to rinse out clothes especially the short sleeved shirts but I rather do that than bring more clothes than I needed . Have fun.

houston tx
Level Contributor
262 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to ack for early September visit

Thank you and I like the scarf idea. How about shoes? I want something that is comforatable and good for walking all day. I was thinking about Toms or possibly boots in case of rain. I too want everything to fit into carry on :-)

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
189 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to ack for early September visit

I bought a pair of black Sperry topsiders which is like a loafer...very New England....you can order them at Nordstroms. I wanted a sturdy shoe rather than a soft sided "toms". In the event of rain or cold weather, I packed a pair of black leather sneakers which I bought for our previous trip to Europe...I never wore them. I forgot to add in my last post that I also packed a fleece to again be used in exceptional cold weather. My colors were black and grey and I threw in a pink top for variety. After 12 days, you need some variety!

You noted that I did all this on carry on. I did not...most of it was in the first size of a checkable bag. I did pack my light weight pants and two days of underwear and tops in a knapsack with a sweater. Thankfully, my luggage did not get lost.

houston tx
Level Contributor
262 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to ack for early September visit

anyone else have recommendations on clothing for Munich, Prague and Salzburg first week of September? I bought some light weight black barefoot Merrells. Still trying to decide on boots. Think I will also bring a medium weight coat which has a hood and is good for rain too. Any other recommendation apprciated.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to ack for early September visit

Hi,

If you haven't had time to break your new shoes in, it may be wise to bring a well-broken in, sturdy pair that you know won't hurt your feet or cause blisters. Remember that you're going to encounter much more cobblestone and brick paver streets and sidewalks in Europe than in Houston, so practical shoes for those surfaces are best. And, as others have said, layer.

Don't forget that there are Laundromats in Europe, too. While many would dismiss the idea of taking 2 hours from your expensive European vacation to spend it in a Laundromat, I kind of enjoy it. It gives me a two-hour break from all the museum and attraction-hopping. I can get caught up on postcard writing (yes, people still do that in this instant electronic day and age), plan the next phase of my trip, or simply converse with some of the locals.

Enjoy your trip.

Zed

SF Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
120 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to ack for early September visit

We're pretty lucky to be staying in a house that has a washer/dryer, so we don't have to pack as much, but I really like what vermontgirl suggested. We're in Munich and then Paris for a total of 12 days in late Sept/early Oct and not overpacking is my goal.

I'm planning on wearing jeans & a long sleeve shirt & cardigan on the plane, then bringing a pair of black pants & a pair of hiking pants (we're hiking in the Alps part of the time), 2 more long sleeve shirts, 2 short sleeve shirts & another sweater. I need to remember a scarf as well!

For shoes, I'm wearing my hiking boots on the plane and putting my Toms in my carry-on so I can wear those when walking around the plane during the 12 hour flight. I'm also bringing a pair of nice black or brown shoes that work for both walking and can be used as dressier shoes too. I'm hoping to find a nicer black jacket because all I wear here in Silicon Valley are North Face jackets!

I should be able to get all this in my carry-on bag, but we're flying Lufthansa and they have a 10 lb weight limit, so I'll be checking my carry-on bag. Plus I'm bringing a local California wine to my friend in Paris who is having us over for dinner one night, so that would for sure need to be checked.

houston tx
Level Contributor
262 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to ack for early September visit

Zed and Jediannie, thank you for your replies.I had not heard about the 10 lb weight limit with Lufthansa air this alarms me because none of us planned to check bags. We fly Houston to London on United and then London to Munich on Lufthansa. I better check into this. Thanks again!

SF Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
120 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to ack for early September visit

From what I gleaned from this message board & other online travel boards, it depends on the person checking you in. Some of the airline personnel will be very strict on the guidelines, but others will pass you through. The roller-type carry on seems to be the one they check more than like a backpack with no wheels.

For example, one year I flew from SFO to Heathrow on British Airways and they weighed my carry on and I ended up having to take stuff out of it and put it in my checked luggage. The next year I flew SFO to Heathrow on Virgin and they didn't even blink an eye at my carry on.

I was thinking maybe you can carry a lightweight empty bag in your carry on and if Lufthansa makes you check your bag, take the important stuff out of your carry on (medicines, jewelry, camera, maybe a change of clothes & your toiletries) and put them in the empty bag. That would at least allow you to be prepared if they lose your luggage (god forbid!).