We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel will not accept credit card

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
2 posts
Save Topic
Hotel will not accept credit card

We are traveling to Munich for Oktoberfest.The hotel we have reservations at will only accept a wire transfer as payment.They want the money two weeks prior to arrival and payment in full.The wire will be to a major German bank with a SWIFT, IBAN ect.....

This is not a major chain hotel but,it is in the top twenty of Tripadvisor's Munich hotels with outstanding reviews.

Is this common practice among boutique hotels during oktoberfest ? I'm sending over $4500 dollars to a foreign country that I've never been to before, paying before services are rendered to a single hotel and have absolutely no protection except an email that guarantees my reservation.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel will not accept credit card

<< They want the money two weeks prior to arrival and payment in full.>>

I suspect this is because in the past potential guests have not paid (cc or otherwise) and they have been left with empty rooms at a time when they can get 3x the low season rate for them. I guess if you want to stay there you are just going to have to suck it up and send the money as they request.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel will not accept credit card

Why would they not offer CC payment in the first place? And why would they want the rooms paid in full during Oktoberfest, when they can be sure to get other guests if you wouldn't show up?

It is common practice to charge for the first night only in case of a no-show. (And this is the risk that the hotel can be said to safeguard against by their request for a wire transfer.) But normally, you wouldn't be made to pay in full if you didn't show up.

I would suspect to find a pretty bad hotel. Why else would they have to force you to stay there by making you pay up front? ... If you can still find something else that you like, do it.

Edited: 30 June 2013, 08:04
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,307 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel will not accept credit card

Credit cards are not as common in Germany as they are in other parts of the world. Many businesses, especially locally owned ones but also some chains, refuse to take them because of the high fees they'd have to pay to the cc companies. Not accepting credit cards is not necessarily an indicator of minor quality!

They have probably made too many bad experiences with guests who reserved but didn't show up and that's why they want advance payment.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel will not accept credit card

Yes, it's normal procedure for bookings during the Oktoberfest.

Look at it like that, if you don't follow their procedure, there will be loads of other who will be more than happy to snap up your rooms.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,132 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel will not accept credit card

That's a common thing with special price bookings. If the hotel don't have a contract with your credit card company or your card doesn't cover 4500 Dollars, it's completely understandable.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel will not accept credit card

I had a request for deposit on my accomodation in Bavaria. They also do not take credit cards, and I understand their request for deposit.

The problem was, neither my Bank of America nor Western Union would do a direct wire deposit to an Iban acct in Germany. I was told It's not on their list of countries that accept direct personal acct wire transfers. Something about Homeland security banking issues. You can wire to a western union for a hotel representative to pick up at a Western Union office.

Anyway, my accomodation is just letting me pay on arrival.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel will not accept credit card

IBAN just stands for international bank account number.

As long as you are physically in the US to sign the paper transfer form, there shouldn't be any problem to transfer money into a German bank account, see here: www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php…

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel will not accept credit card

Yes, if I had a bank acct in Germany, like the people in the link,with a transfer agreement in place they would transfer.

However both my bank,Western Union, and I third US Bank I questioned would not transfer $$ from an American citizen with only American accts to another person's acct in Germany, and to numerous other countries (they do allow transfers to some South American countries).

It is part of Homeland security to prevent cash transfers not previously in place from going overseas.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
10,947 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel will not accept credit card

All I can say is that I am flabbergasted. I used to envy the US.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel will not accept credit card

Sorry, but a country not letting you transfer your money where you like sounds like a totalitarian state to me.

Not that it didn't also happen in the EU: businessspectator.com.au/news/2013/3/28/euro…

But that was an exception and only temporary.

If it is really like you say and the rule in the US, I would get out my money out of such a country while I still could.

See post 10, back in 2009 it was still possible, she transferred 14€ from her BoA account to the German state to pay for a certificate stating that she does not have a police record: www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php…