We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich, then what?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Munich, then what?

I need some help with planning how to spend my 2 weeks vacation.

So i'll be flying into Munich from Hong Kong from Oct 4th and stayying there for about 2-3 days for Oktoberfest with a friend. Afterwards I'm not sure where to go. I do want to make a stop to Prague during my trip...but other than that what are some cities that would be recommended?

I'm unfamiliar with the train system in Europe so does anyone have a travelling 'flow'/map that you could reccomend? meaning, if i were to hit up different countries, it'll be convenient and smooth...not just hop around to other cities randomly and waste travelling monday

Cheers,

Karin

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,607 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich, then what?

This is such a wide open question that it is hard to answer without more info. What are your interests and what kind of experience are you looking for? You mentioned cities - Munich and Prague specifically - are you interested in urban areas for the whole trip or a mix of large cities and smaller cities and towns? Countryside? For cities, Berlin or Vienna are good choices with what you have already. If you are interested in smaller places, there are lots of choices - if you are a beer fan, then Bamberg is a must-visit.

With only 10 days, I would limit the trip to 2 or maybe 3 countries at the most. Between Munich and Prague, you will have used up at least half your days.

Here is a decent map of the major rail connections in Europe - should help get you started thinking about this trip:

http://tinyurl.com/mhqkuvu

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich, then what?

Salzburg is an easy commute from Munich. The ride is beautiful and so is the city and countryside. Nurnberg, Romantic Road, Garmisch - Partenkirchen.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,973 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich, then what?

As the other posters have said, it really depends on your interests. We are going in January and are flying into Prague for three nights, then using the train to Berlin for four, Munich for five and ending with five nights in Lucerne/Zurich.

These are all possibilities for you depending upon your interests. Obviously we have 17 nights so can go a little further. We also intend to use the time in Munich to visit Neuschwanstein and Salzburg as day trips.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich, then what?

around munich: salzburg, neuschwanstein castle, garmisch-patenkirchen, rothenburg ob der tauber. further: prague, berlin, vienna, zurich, luzern, rhine valley

Vermont
Level Contributor
191 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich, then what?

Last September, we took a 12 trip to Europe (2 days were travel days) that combined business with pleasure. We spent three days in Munich; one day in Salzburg; four days in Prague and then back to Munich for two days and went to Neuchenstein Castle and 1 day at Oktoberfest. This schedule worked well for us...saw a lot and never felt rushed. We do wish that we could have spent two days in Saltzburg. We went to Prague via the Student Bus which was very comfortable and cheaper than the train. We took the train to Salzburg. We used "Pure Bavarian Tour" for our trip to Neuchenstein...I highly recommend this tour company. Have fun!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich, then what?

I have just returned from a Munich-Vienna combo trip. I recommend you visit Vienna after Munich. Historical places, monuments, palaces. You may also stop for a day in Salzburg, which is in the middle. ÖBB Austrian Railways have a rapid train from Münich to Vienna and it takes 4 hours and costs 50Eur. You may enjoy the beautiful scenery on the way. I am pretty sure greenest hills and unspoilt nature will be what you will admire, after Hong Kong. Vienna is better than Prague in my opinion.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Munich, then what?

Dear All,

Thanks so much for all your replies!

SOrry I shouldve been more clear, I'm interested in a mix city combination, both large and cities, but mainly more historical cities..or ones that have their own character like Prague and Budapest.

Right now I have 17 days in total. I think I will hit up Salzburg (after all your wonderful suggestions), Vienna, Budapest, Prague and Munich. Munich will be my start and end spot.

Would you recommend heading south to Salzburg first? or heading north to Prague first and do a circle back to Munich?

Also, any food recommendations?

8. Re: Munich, then what?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2014, 06:21