We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian gifts for Europeans

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Canadian gifts for Europeans

Hello!

My husband and I are travelling to Munich and Amsterdam in September and are staying at Bed and Breakfasts. I would love to bring a token from Canada that would express our gratitude for their hospitality.

We are bringing carry on bags only so nothing liquid or too heavy and preferably no more than $20. I'm worried that the ideas I have are going to be cheesy.

Are there certain things that are very popular in Canada that cannot be found in Europe?

Thanks in advance!

Best Seller
Royal Castles of Neuschwanstein and...
4,000 reviews
from US$67.30*
Best Seller
Neuschwanstein Castle Small-Group Day...
1,727 reviews
from US$61.10*
Best Seller
Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial...
2,113 reviews
from US$34.90*
Small-Group Neuschwanstein and...
376 reviews
from US$173.20*
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,138 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian gifts for Europeans

List a few things you have in mind and we can tell you if we get them easily or not.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
8,566 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian gifts for Europeans

I would bring packages of smoked Chinook or Coho Pacific Salmon. Not easy to get in Europe and a pleasant surprise for us dummies that only know the Atlantic farmed crap.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,983 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian gifts for Europeans

A coffee table picture book of your region in Canada would be a good gift in 90% of all cases. Alternatively something to eat or drink - something with local flavor, and better something unexpected.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,927 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian gifts for Europeans

I also love Pacific coast salmon, but whole smoked salmon or other large foil wrapped packets is kind of expensive. But jerky of some sort might be appreciated, including salmon jerky, and because the packs are small, it won't cost an arm and a leg. And if you don't give it all away, it will be a nice snack on the flight back home.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,889 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadian gifts for Europeans

One doesn't usually bring gifts to the owners of a B&B, though the thought is lovely. This is a business after all. The best thing you can do is write them a good review on Trip Advisor, as that is like money in the bank to a small business.

For something really small though, try some maple sugar candies. Never seen here in Germany. A photo calender of your region would also pack well and be different.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,322 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadian gifts for Europeans

Bring maple candy. I don't think it can be found in Germany at all, and if it is available, it's certainly very expensive. (Most supermarkets do have maple syrup, though, but it's expensive, too.)

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,210 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadian gifts for Europeans

Bed and Breakfasts are businesses just like hotels. They are not your personal private hosts. For private visits or something like couchsurfing such gifts would be suitable, but people would be astonished to receive gifts from their paying customers.

About the salmon, if someone brought me salmon and I knew it has travelled for days in a row without cooling I'd probably be suspicious about its state, vacuum packed or not. Besides, salmon is available at every supermarket here.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canadian gifts for Europeans

Thank you for your feedback! The only reason I thought to bring something was because the B&B we are staying at in Munich has a photo of different "souvenir" type trinkets from guests around the world. I just thought it would be nice to add ours to the bunch.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,927 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canadian gifts for Europeans

If you want to give odd things from Vancouver, just visit probably the tackiest tourist shops and I'm sure that you'll find some great different things. Perhaps a killer whale cap or something of that order. I'm sure that small totem poles are quite easy to come by, but there probably are other things that are ridiculous that may be quite interesting that could place your "souvenirs" near the top of the heap in that display.

10. Re: Canadian gifts for Europeans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2014, 05:16