We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July or September?

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
290 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
July or September?

I'm planning to return to Munich in 2014, having last visited in July 2008. I'm trying to decide whether to go in mid-July or September (before Oktoberfest). We probably won't return to the museums or other major sights, but instead focus on biergartens, strolls, seeing a Bayern Munich match, and generally taking in the atmosphere.

Is September any less crowded or cheaper than July? Would I be paying inflated Oktoberfest prices (for hotels, etc) a week before it begins, or are the prices only higher during the event?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,402 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: July or September?

> seeing a Bayern Munich match

Not easy at all to get tickets. But if you want to see a match September is your only chance.

Apart from a few exceptions, like seaside resorts, September is the month with the most guests in German cities. In Frankfurt. In Berlin. In Munich due the Oktoberfest anyway.

The differences between the single months from Mai till October are however small.

The only prices which change with the demand are the accommodation costs. They go up during big events. Like the Oktoberfest, big trade fairs or big conferences.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July or September?

We were there about a week or so before the Octoberfest last year and the prices were already hiked up for accommodation., however it was not so packed but I assume a lot of folk arrive for a pre holiday into the area before the event.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
290 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July or September?

I'm aware of the difficulty in getting Bayern tickets, and the FIFA break on Sept 6 means that Sept 13 is the only Bundesliga match day before Oktoberfest. Then of course there's only a 50% chance Bayern is home that day. I'd wait until mid-October, but it looks like the temperature begins to drop off quickly.

"The differences between the single months from Mai till October are however small."

That's good to know. Perhaps I'll take advantage of the longer days and likely nicer weather in July and save the Bayern matches for when I can go during a different time of year.

4. Re: July or September?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2014, 05:18