We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Natvigation System / GPS in Europe - is I phone

Hong kong
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Natvigation System / GPS in Europe - is I phone

I will be traveling on a rental car from Munich, to Salzburg, Slovenia, Rovinj, plitvice, Split and Dubrovnik. Any one recommends to use a I Phone with apps (Tomtom, Tru map and such) as the natvigation system / GPS? Is it reliable?

I used that when I travel Canada and it works very well.

Many thanks.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Natvigation System / GPS in Europe - is I phone

I have used it in France and it worked fine

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Natvigation System / GPS in Europe - is I phone

'The GPS is reliable, thats not your problem, the problem is do you have a good global plan for your I Phone?

In Europe you need a sim card from every country to avoid roaming charges, if you buy one in Munich and get to Austria it gets expensive to use the phone for navigation.

The other thing is does your rental company allow you to take the car into Croatia, a lot of them don't, high end cars are not even allowed to enter Italy.

Do you drive back to Munich or do you know how much the charge for a one way rental is or if it is even possible between Germany and Croatia?

How much time do you have for this trip? The distance is about Dongguan - Wenzhou, 1111 km or 690 miles.

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
814 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Natvigation System / GPS in Europe - is I phone

Apps like Tomtom or Navigon use offline maps, you don't have to care about roaming charges.

The most popular apps in Germany are Tomtom and Navigon. Navigon however was bought by Garmin, the evil empire, some time ago, with the plan to shut Navigon down and offer Garmin products instead. That's why I wouldn't recommend the (really good) Navigon app anymore. Buy Tomtom instead, which works really well on iPhones, and the maps of Central Europe are very good too.

Hong kong
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Natvigation System / GPS in Europe - is I phone

Thanks, Uta.

As relates to i phone GPS, I am using those offline app, so the data plan should not be an issue to me. So you think i phone should work well? I suck reading maps, so....

I am actually would do some driving only say from Munich to Salzburg and then to Ljublijana. Then take bus to Ljublijana to Rovinji.

Drive again from Rovinji to Plitvice. Does it make sense to drive in those countries?

Thanks a million. Seems you have done some traveling in China. Cool, my friend.

Hong kong
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Natvigation System / GPS in Europe - is I phone

which app you use, Bonglobog.

Hong kong
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Natvigation System / GPS in Europe - is I phone

Thanks, Martin. Good stuff.

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Natvigation System / GPS in Europe - is I phone

I would use the train to Rovinj and then rent in Croatia, Munich Salzburg is only a short train ride and can be done on the Bayernticket, if you take a car you have to make sure it has the austrian toll sticker (Pickerl) or buy one before you go, more expensive than the train.

Good web side to check for trains and connections http://www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml, for general train travel in Europe http://www.seat61.com/.

Sorry to say not me, it was my dad he loved China and even took my daughter once, but left me behind.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Natvigation System / GPS in Europe - is I phone

I was actually with a friend from HK he had Tom Tom on his I phone and it worked fine.

If you do drive from Munich to Salzburg then drop the car on the German side of the border ,it is only a couple of kms from the city and will save on drop off fees. You can also set the tomTom to avoid toll roads and not buy a motorway sticker for Austria,it is only a couple of mins longer

Maryland
Level Contributor
92 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Natvigation System / GPS in Europe - is I phone

We just got back from a trip through Switzerland and Italy. We rented a car in Bologna and drove throughout Tuscany and Umbria for 5 days, staying at an agriturismo in Orvieto. We used the Maps app on our iPhones and, for the most part, it worked well. However, do NOT rely on it completely. In some areas it sent us off in the wrong direction and got us lost more than once.

First, if you are staying in the countryside, email your host and ask for specific driving directions to their location. You will find that many of them are aware of serious flaws and misdirections in all of the GPS devices, the Maps app, and the online Google and MapQuest maps. NONE are completely reliable and there is no substitute for directions from the person who lives there.

Second, we avoided using WiFi or 3G at all by simply programming our route before leaving our lodgings each day. There, we had WiFi and were able to load in the route to our destination before leaving. If you just leave the device on and don't close the Maps app, the route stays loaded and will guide you, voice and all, to your destination. Once at your destination, you can find a WiFi hot spot and load in the route back home and do the same thing. Many people told us about this and it worked perfectly. If you have 2 devices, you can load one with the route out and one with the route back home before leaving your lodgings for the day.

Regarding the data plans, we got one for each of our iPhones from Verizon. We got 100 mb of data for each phone for $25 and a call plan that charged 99 cents per minute instead of $1.29. If we exhausted the 100 mb on either phone, an additional $25 charge would kick in automatically, providing another 100 mb. This beats the regular charge or $20.50 per mb without the plan! Neither of us used the full 100 mb on either phone and we only got the plans for emergency use. As I say, when loading the routes into the Maps app ahead of time, you don't use ANY data or incur any charges.

WiFi, of course, is always free, so if you are in a WiFi hot spot, go ahead and surf the web, send emails, etc. Once you are out of the hot spot, you will be charged under your data plan, so be careful.

Also, there were actually some places in the countryside where we could get neither WiFi nor GPS (3G) at all. It is generally reliable, but be careful and do not rely on it 100%. Loading those routes in ahead of time will avoid any problems with lack of reception.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Natvigation System / GPS in Europe - is I phone

I use TomTom and it works well.

Make sure you download the correct maps.

Edited: 03 October 2013, 15:54
Get answers to your questions about Munich