We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Munich Airport

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malaysia
Level Contributor
131 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Munich Airport

Dear All,

Am planning my itinerary - would like to visit Garmish-Partenkirchen but can only squeeze it in towards the end of our trip, which means travelling straight to Munich Airport after that to catch our flight to London. The Munich-LHR flight is scheduled for 1330 hours. Since GaPa-Munich Hbf is about 2 hours + Munich Hbf-Airport is about 45 mins + allowance for change of trains (1 hour??) = 4 hours, and say we need to arrive at airport latest by 11:30, I should depart GaPa latest by 7:30 - would that be correct?

Will we need to leave even earlier, taking into consideration that we would need to change trains (and working in a comfortable 'layover' for change of trains, ie not having to rush from one platform to another within 10-15 minutes). I read in one posting that if I missed 1 of the regional trains there would be a 2-hour wait for the next one?? Will there be trains leaving GaPa for Munich at 6-7am (since they are regional trains, my concern is that they might not be that frequent, especially on a Sunday).

I tried checking out the trains schedule online but it seemed rather confusing AND seemed to provide for only 10 mins to get from one platform to another,and I couldn't seem to find on the website the time(s) for alternative trains (in case we miss any connections).

Thanks!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Munich Airport

There are hourly trains from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Munich (München Hbf). And from there you have roughly a S-Bahn train to the airport every 10 minutes. It will be sufficient to depart at 08:04 or 09:04.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Destination: München Flughafen Terminal

Malaysia
Level Contributor
131 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Munich Airport

Thanks for the reply, abalada. I tested the link you gave - shows a change of train at Munchen-Pasing. Is that different from Munchen Hbf? If so, that means we don't get to Munchen Hbf?

And just for my complete understanding, Munchen Flughafen Terminal is the same as Munich International Airport??

Thanks!

Edited: 28 July 2013, 16:50
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,552 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Munich Airport

München-Pasing is a train station before München Hbf. As it is much smaller it is easier to change trains there. You will still pass through München Hbf on your way to the airport. And of course you can stay on the regional train from Garmisch-Partenkirchen till its terminal station: München Hbf.

Flughafen is the German word for airport. Terminal is the German word for - I assume you can guess this.

München Flughafen Terminal is the name of the train station at Munich International Airport.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
131 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Munich Airport

Ok, I understand now - thanks!!

Just a further question : We are a group of 8 : 5 adults, 2 teenagers (17, 13 yrs) & 1 child (10 yrs). Will the Bayern tickets be the appropriate tickets for us to travel in & around Munich including to Neuschwanstein? Will it cover Garmisch and Garmisch-Muenchen Flughafen?

Thanks again.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Munich Airport

Yes, the Bavaria ticket will cover all public transport in the state of Bavaria, that does include all regional trains and trams, busses etc. in Munich.

For your party you would need a Bayern Ticket for 5 persons and another one for 1 person. (The kids under 15 will be covered by this one). If the 13 yo and 10 yo are not siblings, you would officially have to buy:

A Bayern ticket for 4 persons (3 adults and 17yo) and one for 2 persons (2 adults, 13 yo, 10 yo) where the two adults of the second ticket would be one parent of each child....But that's no difference in price anyhow.

But that's just officially speaking. Haha German accuracy.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,089 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Munich Airport

Hi AZLee,

Please note that the Bavaria Card doesn't cover the town busses in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. However, your hosts will give you a card that makes the busses free during your stay here. That might mean that you will have to pay for the bus (or taxi) when you arrive at the train station and travel to your hotel for the first time.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Malaysia
Level Contributor
131 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Munich Airport

Does d Bayern ticket cover d train fr airport to Munchen Hbf? If it does, I should buy it at the airport then - yes?

Thanks once again to all who've given me such helpful advice n explanations.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,552 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Munich Airport

> Does d Bayern ticket cover d train fr airport to Munchen Hbf?

Yes.

But if you travel on this day just to Munich the cheaper MVV tickets are sufficient. Note that for train/public transport tickets your 17 years old counts as adult.

mvv-muenchen.de/en/…index.html

mvv-muenchen.de/en/…index.html

1 x Airport-City-Day-Ticket Partner EUR 20,40

1 x Airport-City Day TIcket Single EUR 11,20

2 x Children's Day Ticket EUR 2,80 each

> If it does, I should buy it at the airport then - yes?

Yes. No matter if you will need Bayern Tickets or MVV tickets.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,693 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Munich Airport

Aren't there time restrictions on the Bayern ticket? Like not valid until after 9:00 am?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Munich Airport

<Aren't there time restrictions on the Bayern ticket? Like not valid until after 9:00 am?>

There are. On weekdays the ticket is only valid after 9am. On weekends and public statewide (Bavaria) holidays all day long.