We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two (2) full days in Munich a week before Christmas

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
233 reviews
Save Topic
Two (2) full days in Munich a week before Christmas

We are arriving at 5 am on the 17th December and have 2 full days before joining a tour on the evening of the 18th. We are staying at the Hotel Maritim. I have been checking out various suggestions for what to see and where to eat. We will need breakfast both mornings so would like suggestions near to the hotel. What is the weather likely to be - freezing??? I know you can't guarantee snow but I can hope!!! Are most of the attractions open that close to Christmas?

What Christmas markets do you suggest or are they mostly the same? What time will it be dark then - around 4.30 pm?

Hoping to obtain some feedback - thanking you.

Cheers.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two (2) full days in Munich a week before Christmas

Hi,

I was in Munich for a couple of days the first week of December last year for my first winter trip to Europe.

You may want to check with your hotel to see if breakfast is included with your room. In many hotels and B&B's, it is. (I can't help with specific restaurant recommendations, as I stayed at the home of a friend.)

No one can predict the weather, but my experience was that the temperatures during the day were in the 3° - 6° C range, and at night in the -3° - 0° C range. We did have light snow one night that left about 1 cm of snow on the ground the next morning. You're right that the sun will set around 4:15 PM to 4:30 PM (and rises around 8 AM).

We went to the Deutsches Museum for one afternoon (about 5 hours there--it's huge with lots of science, engineering, transportation, astronomy, etc.). We also went to the Christmas market at Marienplatz, which was quite nice. You should find most attractions open during that time period, but you may want to check to see if they have limited winter hours first.

You're also right with respect to Christmas markets. You'll find commonalities between each, as many will sell the same or similar items. But each market has its own unique feel to it. I went to markets in Schwäbisch-Hall, Würzburg, Munich, and Vienna on my trip.

Enjoy your trip!

Zed

P.S. Did you know that your screen name is a form of the German verb "zahlen" which means "to pay." :-) Ich zahle = I pay. Useless trivia, I know... :-)

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
161 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two (2) full days in Munich a week before Christmas

Hi Zahle, we too will be starting our tour on the 18th from Hotel Maritim, so I'm assuming you're on an Albatross Tour also? We've personally decided to visit the BMW museum, the Residence/treasury and simply walking around and enjoying a new city. We will definitely go to the Hofbraufaus House and maybe Ratskeller for dinner. Look forward to try and spot you on the 18th. Exciting isn't it!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two (2) full days in Munich a week before Christmas

Hi Zed,

Thanks for your reply and all the info - breakfast is not included at the hotel for the two days before the tour but we would rather go to a local cafe and enjoy the local food etc. and people watch too.

I was in Wurzburg in 2009 doing a river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest and onto Prague for 3 days.

I am looking forward to the trip and am sure it will be great. Thanks for the best wishes.

My screen name Zahle is actually the place in Lebanon where my grandparents came from - it is the 3rd largest city there. It wasn't useless trivia from you about 'zahlen' - to pay etc. I found it interesting so thank you for that too. My real name is Roma - which is Latin and Italian for Rome as you probably know!!!!

Cheers.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two (2) full days in Munich a week before Christmas

Hi Meg,

Yes, we are on the Albatross Tour - Christmas in an Italian Castle. How did you guess????? Was actually looking at the Slovenian Alps tour but I had been in Bled and Slovenia in 2008 - we were on a cancellation for that but in the meantime I saw the Italian Castle and thought it sounded even better - it still did the 3 things I was after - Salzburg as I went to Cesky Krumlov instead, Venice which is my favourite city and will be my 3rd time there and Neuschwanstein which I have always wanted to visit.

Am looking at the Residenz too and the Hofbraufaus - will look up Ratskeller and a few other things too.

We are arriving at 5.10 am!!! on the Tuesday into Munich. Will look out for you too.

Roma

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two (2) full days in Munich a week before Christmas

For breakfast I can recommend the Café Anna on the ground floor of the Hotel Anna: tripadvisor.co.uk/…30429459

Route on foot from the Hotel Maritim to the Café Anna: http://goo.gl/maps/elQrr

There are also quite a few cafés in the central train station (= Hauptbahnhof), that are even nearer and cheaper than the Café Anna.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two (2) full days in Munich a week before Christmas

Hello and thank you for the breakfast info - it is much appreciated. Will check it out.

I notice the central station is almost across the road from the hotel.

Cheers.

manchester
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two (2) full days in Munich a week before Christmas

I have booked onto the free walking tour of Munich via

http://www.newmunichtours.com/

We were in Berlin a few years ago and the tour was really good, you just make a donation at the end

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two (2) full days in Munich a week before Christmas

That sounds really good and they cover a lot of attractions.

Thanks for passing that on - I really appreciate it.

Cheers.

9. Re: Two (2) full days in Munich a week before Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2014, 05:16