We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about a price on the DB Bahn website

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
684 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Question about a price on the DB Bahn website

I am pricing up a oneway journey for my family of five from Munich to Seefeld in Tirol on the DB Bahn website. I get the price of 88,80 Euros from the website and I need to convert it into the equivalent New Zealand dollar amount. Please forgive me for asking what is, no doubt, a dumb question but, is that comma in 88,80 Euros used where we would use a decimal point? The reason I ask is that, if I use an internet converter tool to convert 88.80 Euros into NZ$, it equals NZ$146.83 but, if I convert 88,80 Euros into NZ$, it equals NZ$14682.60 !!! I need to be really sure before I put the charge on my credit card :)

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,136 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about a price on the DB Bahn website

The comma is a decimal comma, indeed. We use the comma for decimals and the dot to separate the 1000's. Just the other way round as the English-speaking world.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
684 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about a price on the DB Bahn website

Thanks so much for your quick reply BlandineForberg and that is indeed quite a relief! I can now go on getting other prices and understand how it works.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,136 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about a price on the DB Bahn website

I see this is confusing - we are confused just as much by the English system. Have a great trip, happy travels!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,352 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about a price on the DB Bahn website

Really strange whichever version you are used to.......is when in Spain they sometimes put a point in dates, for the year eg Columbus discovered America in 1.492

I have to look really hard at figures too, as they often put the cents even when it is nil and the total sum is huge, so:you see things like 2.090.456.985, 00€

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
684 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about a price on the DB Bahn website

Oh wow Lynda, that 2.090.456.985, 00€ amount would really confuse me!!!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,968 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about a price on the DB Bahn website

Seriously, a short trip train ticket costing as much as a small car would be just a tiny little bit unrealistic, don't you think?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
684 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about a price on the DB Bahn website

Yes for sure and I was 99% confident that the comma was where we put a decimal but, before I dared charge it to my Visa, I had to be 100% sure. So thanks everyone for your help and issue is solved :)

8. Re: Question about a price on the DB Bahn website

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 07:21