We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Germany Austria Prague in 13 days

San Francisco
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Germany Austria Prague in 13 days

Hi all,

My husband and I are at the beginning stage of planning this trip. We have 13 days plus 2 days of flying, total 15 days. Where would you suggest we should visit? and how many nights in each place?

Thanks so much.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,596 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Germany Austria Prague in 13 days

This is a really open-ended question with almost an infinite number of answers :-) That makes it fun to answer and difficult at the same time.

With 2 weeks, I would stick to 2 countries rather than try to fit in 3 if it was my trip - everybody's travel style is different, so you have to figure out what works best for you, but I like to spend at least 3 full days in any larger city I visit and also mix in countryside with city stays. With 2 weeks, I would plan 3 places, 4 at the most. If I had more vacation time, I'd go even slower, but I have to strike a balance :-)

Coming from SF, it will actually take you 2 calendar days to get to Europe - you'll arrive mid-day on Day 2, most likely, so take that into consideration. And you'll likely be pretty jet lagged on your day of arrival. If you can get the non-stop from SFO to Munich, do it. Non-stop to Frankfurt is another good choice - even if Frankfurt isn't on your itinerary, it has really good train connections to everywhere, so it makes a good jumping off place.

For a Germany, Austria, and Prague trip in 2 weeks, I would probably split the time pretty evenly between Munich, Vienna, and Prague, and then use each city as a base for sightseeing in that city and day trips to the countryside. This way you can see something of all 3 countries while at the same time minimizing the time you spend moving hotels.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Germany Austria Prague in 13 days

Thanks November,

Yes, there's a direct flight from sfo to Frankfurt. Do you think the below itinerary is doable?

Frankfurt: 2 full days/2 nights

Munich: 3 days/ 3 nights

Vienna: 3 days/ 3 nights

Prague: 4 days/4 nights

California Hot...
Level Contributor
312 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Germany Austria Prague in 13 days

I would suggest one night in Frankfurt then on to Munich. Munich to Vienna will take some time,however you do it,Vienna to Prague is a short trip.You could add the extra day to Vienna,lots of history there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Germany Austria Prague in 13 days

Hi Jenny 0709

We haven't had our trip yet, we are going in January for 17 nights and doing Germany, Prague and Switzerland. Would love to go to Austria too but not enough time :( we will do a Salzburg day trip though.

As far as Prague goes, from everything that I have heard, three days is probably enough there. My parents have just returned from their first Prague visit and found that three nights was plenty to see the main sites. That would allow you to add a night somewhere else.

Have fun planning.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,596 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Germany Austria Prague in 13 days

We really enjoyed Prague and were glad we chose to spend 5 nights there. We wished we had more time. Of course, it depends on what you want to do and how you travel.

To determine how to distribute your days among each city, I would start researching what you want to actually do in each place and then figure out how long you need - or at least which city seems to be more interesting to you and weight the number of days toward that city. You might find that the sights in Vienna really pique your interest, so you add more time there, or you may decide that Munich or Prague has more things that you'd like to do.

Also remember, 2 nights in a place doesn't equal 2 full days. Using Frankfurt as your example, you will have a partial day on arrival, spend a night, have a full day, spend your second night, and then be off to your next destination.

Your draft itinerary, with the number of nights would look like this:

Day 1: Depart SFO

Day 2: Arrive FRA, stay in Frankfurt for 2 nights

Day 3: In Frankfurt

Day 4: Train to Munich, stay in Munich for 3 nights

Day 5: Munich and surrounding area

Day 6: Munich and surrounding area

Day 7: Train to Vienna, stay in Vienna for 3 nights

Day 8: Vienna and surrounding area

Day 9: Vienna and surrounding area

Day 10: Train to Prague, stay in Prague for 4 nights

Day 11: Prague and surrounding area

Day 12: Prague and surrounding area

Day 13: Prague and surrounding area

Day 14: ?

Day 15: Flight home from ?

For the days that you move from city to city, plan on losing about a half day in transit. This will leave you partial days in various cities.

If you are flying home from Frankfurt, you will need to take into account the travel back to Frankfurt. We did this a couple years ago and chose to take the bus to Nuremburg, spend the night there and then the train to Frankfurt airport the next morning in time to catch our flight. It worked out well. You can take an early bus from Prague to Nuremburg, which will leave you an afternoon and evening there for sightseeing.

6. Re: Germany Austria Prague in 13 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 05:18