We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Filling the rental car tank before drop off at airport.

Boston...
Level Contributor
136 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
Filling the rental car tank before drop off at airport.

Need to fill the tank before returning. I see there is an Agip right at the ramp to the airport. Would gas here be more expensive? Is there a better station to fill up at before returning?

Thanks to everyone for answering all my questions! I'll be in Munich next week, can't wait!

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Filling the rental car tank before drop off at airport.

Yes, it is a bit more expensive, think 5€ on an entire tank more expensive. But if you fill up somewhere at another petrol station and only fill up the rest at the airport AGIP, it will be less than 5€.

Anyway, even 5€ more is a bargain to what the rental company would charge you if the tank isn't full when you hand over the car.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Filling the rental car tank before drop off at airport.

Hi,

We always (7 times/trips) fill up at the gas station in Hallbergmoos, a few miles from the airport. I think it's an OMV station. They also have car vac's and a large convience store, if that matters to you.

Edited: 28 August 2013, 23:16
Boston...
Level Contributor
136 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Filling the rental car tank before drop off at airport.

Thanks, I'll check that out. Do the auto returns all go to the same place, regardless of which company you rented from?

And when you return do you have to check in with someone? It says to leave the car at the entrance with the keys and papers inside. Sounds like you can just head to your gate or do you need to settle up with a human being?

Edited: 28 August 2013, 23:39
Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Filling the rental car tank before drop off at airport.

Thanks for asking Julie and for the responses. We're dropping off at MUC also so this is helpful.

Happy travels

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Filling the rental car tank before drop off at airport.

All rental cars go to the same place. You can't miss the signs, as they're in both German and English.

You'll get a receipt but you can also go to the rental desk for a complete reciept if you like.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Filling the rental car tank before drop off at airport.

Hopefully you have not rented from Terstappen (Thrifty)??

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Filling the rental car tank before drop off at airport.

Not I! I've read the forum horror stories!

I tried to go through Gemut. Despite numerous calls and messages left, I never got a live person.

I had to give up what with the trip drawing near, so went with Hertz. I've never had a problem with them in Europe.

Boston...
Level Contributor
136 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Filling the rental car tank before drop off at airport.

I went with Gemut. Didn't have any problems, I believe I left a phone message and they got back to me. I have a reservation booked with Avis so hopefully all will go well. Enjoy your trip!

Boston...
Level Contributor
136 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Filling the rental car tank before drop off at airport.

Thanks pja!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,685 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Filling the rental car tank before drop off at airport.

gemut, being an internetagent, often relies on the computer for booking. probably only occasional person at the phone.

re fuel. it is a little difficult to find the agip station at munich, signs are not very prominent! I always slip off at what I call the bmw clock tower just before airport, and then follow what signs exist. the alternative is to fill up at halbermoos, about 20 kms before the airport. brim the tank and drive carefully and you would only use about 1 l before hand in. it wont even register on the guage!

all cars check in at same point, and are queued up for movement to parking areas. just get out of car, leave the keys in it, and an attendant will have a quick look around and provide a receipt if required. if only other airports would follow suit........

Edited: 29 August 2013, 16:37