We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So confused

northport, n y
Level Contributor
221 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
So confused

Okay....it seems like marienplatz is where I want to be for the Xmas markets to be best located for the central market...the hotels there are not as impressive as those near the train station which some describe as a seedy neighborhood. Soooo if I want a charming authentic great hotel in a charming neighborhood which area do I chose??? I have this vision of a great hotel that I walk out of right onto a charming street ...perhaps this is just a vision??

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So confused

The Vier Jahrenzeiten is a short walk from the market/Marienplatz Pricey but a fine hotel in a top neighborhood. We like Lehel and the Opera Hotel. St. Anna Platz. Mandarin Oriental and Torbraeu are also worth a look, although very different price levels.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So confused

Blauer bock is family ran and in the old town and great reviews (personally off anyone who stayed there)

It's beside the new synagogue and city museum, on the victualienmarkt and 2 min walk from the Christmas markets. Opposite is the schrannenhalle which is in transition, but is a cultural/ culinary space and will remain so.

There's a couple of other hotels on the victualienmarkt but Blauer bock could well be the best choice.

Mandarin oriental at us$800 (on an advance booking deal) is very good, but for that price........

Well, I'd expect it to be half ways decent angling towards a certain level of perfection.

northport, n y
Level Contributor
221 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So confused

I

Thank you...it's funny I envisioned big old world hotels in Munich for some reason and now I'm just trying to fit that square peg in a round hole.......I'm assuming you both are steering me away from the train station neighborhood.....

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So confused

I am also a big fan of Blauer Bock. Save money on the room and spend it on their restaurant!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So confused

Check out some of the hotel deals on www.kayak.com. I was there a week ago and got the Hotel Torbrau for less than some of the ones by the train station. The area by the train station was pretty seedy looking. We were out there to start city tours and again when we left via train to Budapest. Hotel Torbrau was very nice and in a much nicer area.

northport, n y
Level Contributor
221 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So confused

Thank you all so much

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,410 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So confused

Station areas are all similar. Around Munich station isn't pretty but its not unsafe and only one street is seedy-whatever that means.

I wouldn't describe many hotel entrances as opening onto charming streets to be honest.

Hilton City is well positioned. Agree on Torbraeu.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,085 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So confused

I agree about the hotel entrances - the best hotel I have ever stayed in was the Park Hyatt in Hamburg and the entrance is down what could be described as a dingy side street. The important thing is the city itself. The Mandarin Oriental is a great hotel, but from what I recall it doesn't have a particularly grand entrance.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,339 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: So confused

Depends on budget but lower end 3* Blauer Bock as mentioned above does lead onto quaint square and opposite the market. Torbrau is indeed nice maybe one star above Blauer Bock, it's a main street but not unattractive.

I wouldn't stay near the station if looking for ambience, the busy main streets that resemble anywhere, I think there are plenty of nice streets in the old town, with hotels too.

Stoofer'

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,607 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So confused

From Dictionary.com:

seed·y

[see-dee] Show IPA

adjective, seed·i·er, seed·i·est.

1. abounding in seed.

2. containing many seeds, as a piece of fruit.

3. gone to seed; bearing seeds.

4. poorly kept; run-down; shabby.

5. shabbily dressed; unkempt: a seedy old tramp.

I think #4 is generally what people mean when they say that the area around the main train station is seedy. And I think that the description applies. It isn't a terrible area, but it isn't great either.