We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for - Just passing Munich

Japaratinga, AL
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for - Just passing Munich

Hi Everyone,

I am planning my Europe trip and my last stop will be Salzburg. Since I may rather take the flight from Munich or Vienna after Salzburg and I prefer Munich, I am asking for advice for the day in Munich. If my flight is at 4pm from Munich and I will be leaving Salzburg in the morning on the same day. What would you advice for that half day?

I searched for Munich Airport it seems to be an attraction. If it's true I could take this as my final attraction on the day.

If not, what else should I do?

I can take an early train and arrive at Munich around 9:30am. And I will take the train to airport around 1pm. Those 3 hours, what would you suggest me to do in the city?

Thanks!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,966 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for - Just passing Munich

>Those 3 hours, what would you suggest me to do in the city?

Munich airport is a well designed and well managed airport, but I do not understand what you mean if you describe it as an "attraction". It is just an airport. If you have a choice between spending 3-4 hours in the city of Munich or at the airport I would not hesitate even for a second.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,692 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for - Just passing Munich

You should see Marienplatz, Viktualienmarkt and Hofbrauhaus (Am Platzl) for sure!

Japaratinga, AL
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for - Just passing Munich

Hi altamiro,

Since I just saw this website, muenchen.de/int/en/sights/attractions.html . I just have a rough idea from this website.

Japaratinga, AL
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for - Just passing Munich

Hi Grolland,

Thanks for your reply.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
119 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for - Just passing Munich

I second what Grolland said,. but keep in mind that the airport is not necessarily that close to the center of the city. 3 hours is cutting it all a bit tight!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,259 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for - Just passing Munich

Lock in your luggage at the central station. (Have EUR 4 in coins for the lockers. Prices change, sometimes it's EUR 3, sometimes EUR 4.) Then, walk to Karlsplatz/Stachus and continue to Marienplatz. That way, you'll see the entire pedestrian area. It will take you about 40 minutes, just for the walk. On your left, you'll see Frauenkirche (the church with the two towers) which you can visit.

You can also have a look at Viktualienmarkt, a food market right next to Marienplatz. They have a beer garden where you can have lunch.

I think if you have only three hours, that's just the right thing to do. You'll probably be a bit tired after all that walking around, so just take the S-Bahn from Marienplatz back to Hauptbahnhof where your luggage is (two stops).

If you don't already have the Bayern Ticket, buy a "MVV Tageskarte Gesamttarifgebiet" which will cover your trip from Marienplatz to Hauptbahnhof and also your trip to the airport.

Edited: 21 September 2013, 18:06
Japaratinga, AL
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for - Just passing Munich

Thanks.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
367 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for - Just passing Munich

I would leave for the airport by noon,there are lots of security check points to go through.

9. Re: Advice for - Just passing Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 10:22